Author Topic: Rubi's Build up  (Read 14768 times)

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
Rubi's Build up
« on: June 16, 2008, 06:22:44 AM »
Among other things I'm going to be adding a 7" lift, bumpers, winch, rock sliders etc. you can see it all here..

http://jt4x4.com/smf/index.php?topic=689.0 

Anybody who can help or has any kind of specialty skill that they've done something on here before.. (I've heard One-Eye is good with driveshafts and SYE's) I could use the help. No date or time scheduled yet.. but just putting it out there so it's known in advance. parts were ordered on the 14th.
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

stsubs

Re: Rubi's Build up
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 06:23:40 PM »
Do not know much but if you need a hand I can help. 

Offline CnoteTJ

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 06:27:03 PM »
You know Im down, just let me know when  8)
2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4" FT Long Arm w/ CRC link and 35" MTR/K's
Some armor and performance goodies!

www.northridge4x4.com    www.offroadevolution.com   www.full-traction.com

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 07:07:59 PM »
I've heard One-Eye is good with driveshafts and SYE's
Gary,
I didn't see either one of these parts on your list...and with a 7" lift  :o, you MUST have both the SYE AND a high end CV driveshaft, maybe even a double CV...I'd ask a pro for input on that...

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 07:27:19 PM »
He's going through JB Conversions for the Super Short shaft kit, and Carolina Driveline for the driveshafts.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline CnoteTJ

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 07:50:59 PM »
good call, no middle man  :P

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 07:58:12 PM »
He's going through JB Conversions for the Super Short shaft kit, and Carolina Driveline for the driveshafts.

Cool...Although, he should go with an Atlas II with the 5.0:1 Lo ratio!!  ;D

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 09:55:44 PM »
Is that the same lift Axle's got? It costs less than the RE 5.5" & it will run 37's! :o
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 12:13:10 AM »
I got a message from Gary about the lift.  Apparently he can't run the 7" lift with his current t-case???  I don't know.  He's got duty tonight, so I'll talk to him about it tomorrow.  He is going with the 5.5". 

I win!

Offline CnoteTJ

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 02:02:39 AM »
 :-\...all the more reason to go with the Atlas II  ;)

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 03:11:23 AM »
 ;) I call dibs on his NP241!!!!

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 03:18:56 AM »
So he's staying with the 5.5" with 35's for now.  That seems to be the latest and greatest for jeeps these days anyway.  Looking at the latest edition of JPmagazine, they have a section on a recent Moab trip.  None of the jeeps were lifted as high as mine, but most were sporting 35's to 40's  :o .  Then again, most of them also have lots of fender trimming, and Dana 60's.   ::)

It really makes total sense, though.  Gaining more clearance from tire size rather than suspension.  I have to wonder how it affects articulation, though...  With less suspension comes less suspension travel, but a lower center of gravity.  So which is better???  More articulation, or less with a lower center of gravity? 

and...

GO!

I win!

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 12:42:32 PM »
He still going with the rock krawler system(5.5)?
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 01:50:40 PM »
Yes.

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 02:40:33 PM »
So which is better???  More articulation, or less with a lower center of gravity? 

and...

GO!

In my opinion, less articulation with a lower center of gravity. The taller you are, the less your vehicle can "roll" while trying to employ your usable flex. In your case Justin, I think the height you are at prevents you from safely using everything your suspension system could offer. Maybe its just pucker factor but I think with JD's 3 1/2" super-flex system and the tire size we run(33"), I can flex it to the maximum the system will allow and still be reasonably safe from flopping Inga on her side. It's takes a personal commitment to not not push the vehicle over its maximum capability.

Also, with a TJ and its coil spring suspension, you achieve more flex with less modification. I can safely say we could run 35's on Inga. (The only reason we haven't put on 35's is the wear and tear factor and the re-gearing we would need to do.)  We would rub in severe flex situations but I wouldn't need to upgrade to a bigger lift to accomodate them. Its my personal opinion that anything over about 4 1/2" of lift is almost overkill depending on what you plan to do with the rig. Driveline angles become severe and in a regular Wrangler, there is not enough wheelbase to safely go much higher than that. I would guess that even a CV driveshaft has its limitations and about a year and a half to two years is the life expectancy at a severe running angle and $400 every two years (usually at the worst times) is not worth it to me for that extra height. Wanna run a 6" lift??? Put it on an Unlimited... Just my .02

In the end, you can have a system that hits a 1400 on a 20 degree RTI ramp but you still need to know how to drive it to use that capability. As we can all vouch at one time or another, rig capability does not always perfectly mesh with driver ability or the desire to want it to do more. This sport can get rather expensive (as you already know  ;D) and if you drive it like you stole it before learning the vehicles capabilities things will undoubtedly break. And honestly: bigger lift = bigger tires = simply being able to drive over something(straddle it), instead of putting a tire on it and crawling over it; because Inga can get over probably 90% of the stuff you can at half the lift, smaller tires, one locker less, and probably a little less pucker factor...