Author Topic: Click, click, boom  (Read 5695 times)

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
Click, click, boom
« on: June 10, 2008, 03:17:31 PM »
I'm at a loss...  I'm driving the jeep home last night, I turn the last corner going to my house, and I hear a click, click, and then my front end locks up and I skid to a halt.  I get out, look around (in the dark  :-\) and I don't see anything hanging down or disconnected.  I get back in, start it up, put it in reverse and back up a little bit nice and slow.  I try to go forward again and it stops again.  I back up again, and this time when I ease it forward, nothing happens and I drive home. 

WTF  ???
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
Re: Click, click, boom
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 03:50:21 PM »
 :o My thoughts would be something fell into the gears :( . Your front driveshaft and axles constantly turn as the jeep moves because you don't have unlockable hubs. I would advise you pull the diff cover ASAP and see if something is loose in there and floating around(lockers and gears are expensive!!). I think it was locked up with something jammed in the gears and rolling back the first time didn't dislodge it enough but the second time you rolled back it managed to roll out of the gear mesh and that's why you could pull forward again without incident. At least until the next time your oil flow throws it back up into the gear mesh again. Either that or your locker did something odd... If you install unlocking hubs, your axle shafts will turn to drive the front tires ONLY when the hubs are locked AND your locker is turned on AND in 4WD. I hope you didn't break your ring gear or a tooth off one or the other...Keep us posted...

:-\ How's that saying go? Just Empty Every Pocket ???
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 03:58:11 PM by Seabee_BUC »

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 03:59:24 PM »
That's what I'm thinking...  The ring gear, locker, or pinion.  It's all under warranty still, thank goodness.  I called Pete, and he was a little flabergasted.  He said I'm only the second guy in 5 years that has had this luck with anything he has done.  He recommended trying some stuff out to see what the problem is.  I need to change the front diff fluid anyway, so it's not a big deal to go ahead and pull the front cover.

I win!

Offline CnoteTJ

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
let me know if ya need any help...we all know how things go when you work on the jeep alone  ;D ;)
2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4" FT Long Arm w/ CRC link and 35" MTR/K's
Some armor and performance goodies!

www.northridge4x4.com    www.offroadevolution.com   www.full-traction.com

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 05:49:25 PM »
let me know if ya need any help...we all know how things go when you work on the jeep alone  ;D ;)

BOOM HEADSHOT!!!

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 06:30:46 PM »
Dirty...  Just dirty.   :P

I win!

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 06:50:17 PM »
I would love to help but I am strapped for time these days.  2 weeks, just 2 more weeks and I will have weekends back to do things again.  YEAH!!!!!!!!
JT4x4 Founding Member

stsubs

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 02:19:58 AM »
I dont know much but if you need a hand I can help any time

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 04:22:47 PM »
So, Gary and I changed out the diff fluid in the front axle, and couldn't find any problems what so ever.  I did, however, discover that my front right lower control arm bracket is in the shape of an S rather than straight up and down.  I bent the snot out of it.  So, who know's where I can get a Dana 30, right, lower control arm bracket?  I'm going to call Rock Krawler and see if they have one. 

Man this is going to be a pain...   :(

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 05:45:53 PM »
I am not so sure that is why you locked up.  ??? The bent bracket was probably a result of the sudden stop. Was it just that one side that is bent? I would think the whole axle had to move to bend that bracket and if one is bent, then the other one should be bent too, if not the uppers too. Does the bracket contact the tires when they are turned?
BUT, during the NEJeep run a few weeks back, someone bent his control arm real bad getting up an obstacle, I wonder if you over flexed somehow...That's the only way I think you could bend just one bracket.

On a alternate note, you can get a new Rubicon axle pretty cheap now...D44 with a locker and 4.10's (which you would change out for your 4.88's) for about $1600.00!  :P  Just add brackets...  ;D

Let me know if you need any help Justin...

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 06:45:13 PM »
The bracket got bent when I got into an arguement with some rocks and smashed it.  There is pretty compelling evidence that that's what happened to the control arm bracket.  Lots of scraping leading up to the control arm bracket.  Anyway, I just ordered a new set of Blue Torch Fabworks 3/16" lowers for the front.  $85 shipped with military discount.  They should be here by next week.  Thanks for the offer, Scott, as I will need your gorilla welds to put the brackets on.  Also, if I get some cutting wheels, can I use your grinder?

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 07:35:48 PM »
They should be here by next week.  Thanks for the offer, Scott, as I will need your gorilla welds to put the brackets on.  Also, if I get some cutting wheels, can I use your grinder?

You may use the grinder...

I think its going to be tough though, are you going to remove the axle from the front of the Jeep? As you know, I need a lot of mobility to make those gorilla welds. I have yet to learn to weld upside down and make a decent bead. We can leave the tires right on it, just undo the drive shaft, control arms, track bar, brake lines, and the drag link and roll it out from under the Jeep. And it will be easier to cut the brackets off neatly too.

Offline CnoteTJ

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 11:54:29 PM »
sorry, i didnt make it the other night justin, my ringer was turned off, at least you got someone to help ya  ;)
2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4" FT Long Arm w/ CRC link and 35" MTR/K's
Some armor and performance goodies!

www.northridge4x4.com    www.offroadevolution.com   www.full-traction.com

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 02:15:50 AM »
Are we doing this Stick, MIG or TIG? If stick, I should have a welder with everything you need... Let me know if it can be of any use.. It's also a TIG welder but i dont have any Argon or Tungsten. Anyone have access to R-1?
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 03:18:34 AM »
Scott does great work.  If he isn't available for some reason, I'll ask for some help.

I win!