Author Topic: Electric Troubleshooting  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
Electric Troubleshooting
« on: May 09, 2008, 03:04:50 PM »
So I might have a bad coil in my rear locker.  :'(  I have been trying to figure out why the rear locker works for a little while and then pops the fuse.  I thought that maybe the diff connection was getting wet and shorting out, but it does it rain or shine.  It works for a little while and then pops, every time.  I talked with Auburn Gear about it.  They said to do the usual easy checks first, like popping the rear diff and checking the wires in there.  I could also try changing the ground, although both lockers share the same ground.  I need to check the coil resistance while I have the cover popped.  This should help determine whether or not the coil is bad.  Does anyone have a Fluke?

The good news is that even if it is the coil, I can still wheel it, and it will stay locked for a little while.  Also, Auburn Gear will send me a new one to be installed and then I just ship them the bad one. 

The bad news is that it will cost me a couple hundo to get Pete to swap the coils.   >:(  Maybe I can get Auburn Gear to reimburse me!!!  (I'm not angry with Pete, just so that's clear.)
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Re: Electric Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 03:34:55 PM »
I've got a couple of multi-meters (w/ the usually volts, ohms, etc.  one even does tach and dwell).  I'll be coming into town (church) about 6pm tonight.  Call me if you want me to bring one in.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 03:49:32 PM »
Thanks, J.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 04:06:37 PM by Axle »

I win!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 01:25:36 AM »
i didn't get a call, guess you didn't need one?  I'm in town till after ten, so sorry if you need it
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 02:39:13 AM »
i didn't get a call, guess you didn't need one?  I'm in town till after ten, so sorry if you need it

It's all good.  I won't be able to get to it this weekend anyway.  Tomorrow is the event, then Sunday is Momma's day.  If I even looked at a wrench, or my jeep for that matter, I'd be in a head lock by a pregnant woman!   :o

I'll get with you next week, J.  Thanks for the offer.

I win!

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 06:18:29 PM »
Fixed!  I took it up to Pete's this morning.  As soon as we pulled the cover off he said the repair wouldn't cost me a dime.  Turns out the wires got tangled and torn up.  There is a tab that is used to hold the coil in place.  The coil came loose from it because the tab wasn't positioned or tightened correctly.  I don't blame Pete for this, but he insisted that it would be covered under his labor warranty.  He said he followed the instructions given by Auburn.  Sure enough, when I looked at the instructions, they suck.  They are very vague and don't give a clear picture of what to do.  So, he did some fab work on the tab and now it should be good to go.  I at least managed to give him some gear oil to replace what I used of his stuff.  Bottom line...  CTAxle is still the best little shop on the prairie!

Now, who wants to go wheelin'?   ;D

I win!

Offline CnoteTJ

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 06:45:52 PM »
Im down for a little fun, give me a call!
2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4" FT Long Arm w/ CRC link and 35" MTR/K's
Some armor and performance goodies!

www.northridge4x4.com    www.offroadevolution.com   www.full-traction.com

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 08:38:46 PM »
footman and i are meeting at TH at 1500. 

I win!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 09:13:43 PM »
glad that it was easy!  have fun

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 03:05:38 AM »
Locker test sat!

I win!

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master