Author Topic: differential  (Read 2060 times)

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
differential
« on: March 18, 2008, 02:54:21 AM »
I was looking into getting 4.56's on my tj (dana 30 f/35 r) & saw I would have to get bigger differential housing for those gears. Has anyone else had this problem or is it a ploy to get you to spend more money?
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: differential
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 02:58:54 AM »
it's not the housing, it's the carrier ... I'm not exactly sure where the cutoff is for each model, but it's not unusual.

One thing about doing gears, is that if you're not skilled/daring enough to do them yourself, the install labor is rather expensive, and it becomes a slippery slope.  Once you are going to pay somebody the expensive labor to setup gears, you might as well install a locker at the same time, and if you're going to spend that much money, spending it on a Dana 35 is like throwing it in the garbage, so you might as well upgrade your whole rear axle while you're at it.  It gets real expensive, real fast.
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 03:13:31 AM »
thanks for the tip alb. I saw an add for a new dana 44 with arb air locker for right at $2500. is that reasonable? the whole rear assembly
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 05:17:20 AM »
CTAXLE.com is your best bet. Pete knows everything about all that stuff. call or e-mail. he will make recomendations and accomodate your budget the best he can. but he wont set you up to break or come back. he is too busy to have bad business and or give someone bad info so thier rig breaks.

or swap axles like you seemed to be interested in.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 12:09:52 PM »
thanks for the tip alb. I saw an add for a new dana 44 with arb air locker for right at $2500. is that reasonable? the whole rear assembly

Is it complete (axels, housing, gears, brakes, etc)?  Then its about right for price.  I just bought a whole new rear end for the beast, compete, inc disk brakes for a little more that that. (no locker, just posi, but the wilwood disk brakes add a little to the price)
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 05:43:12 PM »
Al is right, Geoff.  You will need to upgrade your carrier to accomodate the larger gear ratio.  That is a good price for the dana 44, but make sure it comes complete with gears, brakes, and your choice of locker.  I would recommend either a detroit (auto locking), auburn gear (electric locker), or arb (air locker).  It's not worth the expense to just replace the gears and leave your diff open (i.e. no locker or limited slip).  Another option is to keep the dana 35, and install a Super 35 kit from Superior Axle.  You can get the kit with an arb locker, and 30 spline chromoly shafts.  It costs about $1100.  If you don't plan on going bigger than 33's, then that's a cheaper way to go.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 01:56:39 AM »
but then you still have to tell people you're running a 35... :)
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 06:05:42 AM »
You could always start out with a 8.8 ford with disc brakes (95+ Exploders), which is a pretty easy swap to do, and regear/lock from there. It comes with the same bolt pattern also, and (someone back me up on this) it can handle up to a 35 inch tire without breakage... The other options of axles and buildups is all up to your bank-roll... and there are many, BUT you have to look big picture. Where do you want that TJ as an end result. Also just to put my .02 in about the locker. GO SELECTABLE!!!!! autolockers are fine, but if you are going to be driving in snow or rain, it's nice not to be locked. like I said just my .02 cents.
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 07:21:06 PM »
but if you are going to be driving in snow or rain, it's nice not to be locked. like I said just my .02 cents.

or just like to be able to turn on the trail when its slick out

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 08:45:41 PM »
but if you are going to be driving in snow or rain, it's nice not to be locked. like I said just my .02 cents.

or just like to be able to turn on the trail when its slick out
That's easy... 2wd, Gas, brake and hope it slides!
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville