Author Topic: did i mess up?  (Read 1414 times)

Offline DJMelodia

• Trail Passenger
did i mess up?
« on: July 17, 2019, 01:15:01 AM »
as some of you may know, i bought an 86 suburban, pics of which can be found in the members rigs forum. i love driving it, and i feel very comfortable with driving it both forward and reverse ( i feel just as comfortable as i do behind the wheel of my hyundai elantra gt). after all, i drive a ford transit at work, and have been driving econoline 350s, ambulances, and 14ft box trucks all of my adult life, but i still cant help but worry about if this was the right choice for me for offroading. will i have to miss alot of trails you guys go on due to its size or is most everything doable with it? let me know, am i just paranoid or is there more to it?

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: did i mess up?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 01:03:03 PM »
Some of the trails we go on are very small with tight corners. We've had a couple people join with full size rigs over the years, but they don't seem to stay very long. There is at least one in the club that does great on a full size K5, but that suburban is really long. You need to expect a lot of body damage and broken windows out on the trail.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline DJMelodia

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 08:07:06 PM »
thanks for the heads up. ill give it a shot and see how it goes. if i scrape, i scrape... its kinda too late to turn back now. tight trails im not worried about. its the turns. if they are too tight ill just have to take my time and maybe ding a panel or reverse and take the turn again. im also gonna start saving up for a blazer or take out another loan lol. who knows i may do just fine with the aircraft carrier.

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 11:48:01 PM »
Hard to tell but a Burb would be better suited as a tow rig than an off road rig here in New England! this is what my Grand Cherokee looks like after trying to get around the NE terrain!
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline DJMelodia

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 01:28:02 PM »
is that the usual outcome from wheeling on NE trails, or just having a little too much fun? i bought an 88 k5 blazer 2 days ago, so ill have an easier time navigating the trails. im not trying to be wreckless with it tho. if my truck is gonna wind up like that cherokee every time i go out, id have to think twice about offroading. i gotta drive it home, after all. i gotta try it at least once tho.

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 04:42:06 PM »
It looks that way because of having to much fun in the woods for sure, but it starts by hitting one tree when you least expect it!
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 01:05:08 AM »
I am running a 4dr 2009 Jeep Wrangler on 35’s and a 3.5in lift. Do to the long wheel base it gets me hung up on many rocks and when cresting hills. Have heavy skid plates underneath for protection and very beaten. A suburban is going to cause you a lot of headache in the woods due to its length and width. If you had a 6 inch plus lift and 40’s it would possibly help out with your ground clearance issues but don’t count on any dent less body panels after a few trips out on the trails in  New England
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts