Author Topic: what trail tools do i need for my 86 suburban?  (Read 3138 times)

Offline DJMelodia

• Trail Passenger
what trail tools do i need for my 86 suburban?
« on: July 16, 2019, 03:59:25 AM »
i have no experience offroading and just bought a 86 chevy suburban. what tools and accessories would i need to buy to go on trails with you guys and gals? links would be helpful. i know it says i need towing points and stuff but idk what to get for that or where to get it. i can get a 60'' high lift jack from home depot and some jerry cans off craigslist but other than that i am lost. thanks!

Offline Big Chuck

• President
  • Trail Master
Re: what trail tools do i need for my 86 suburban?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 04:47:06 PM »
Hey DJ! A basic tool kit is always a plus to have. Spare axle shafts, what axles are in the burb 14bolt/D60? You should if you haven't already look into lockers. If you have no experience Offroad you will really have to pay attention to ALL of your surroundings with such a big long rig.....
Chuck
Tube chassis, 5.3LS, Ford Dana 60 Chevy 14 Bolt 5.13 gears. 203/205 doubler, Hydro steering, air shocks, 42 inch Iroks on 16.5 H1 double bead locks.

Offline DJMelodia

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 11:01:06 PM »
im not sure what axles i have. i will find that out when i take it to the mechanic. my friend is getting me winch point hooks for the front and rear, and i am going to buy a high lift jack after i find out how much the body work will cost. im going to get a cross wrench and some tools as well. any specific tools i will want?

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 01:32:52 PM »
I carry a 200 piece craftsman tool kit with a little bit of everything, but you need to know your rig and tools specific to it. Most also carry zip ties, hose clamps, fluids of different types and specific tools.
1994 YJ on 37s