Author Topic: Fuel cell installation  (Read 3496 times)

Offline Swindle

• Paid Members
  • Trail Queen
Fuel cell installation
« on: February 19, 2018, 07:53:34 PM »
Hi guys, I’m getting ready to install my fuel cell and have a few questions. Anyone know where I can connect the return line at the engine side? Also do I need to vent the fuel cell and if so, what part do I need?

Thanks

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
Re: Fuel cell installation
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 12:54:24 AM »
A little more info would help or a pic of the cell.

Most likely you will need a roll over valve or you can do the poor mans vent in which you run the line once around the cell and then vent were-ever. This prevents the fuel from spilling out during a rollover...

As for the engine return, if you have multiple vents you only need one so you can use the other for the return.

'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline Swindle

• Paid Members
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 01:07:46 AM »
Thanks Rock. The cell is an eBay special. 3 ports on top. I know one is used for a vent, one for sending fuel and one for return but I’m not sure where to attach the return at the engine. A friend said it attaches to the fuel rail but the 4.0 rail only has one port for supply. I’ll take a look for the roll over valve. Thanks

Offline Swindle

• Paid Members
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 01:30:13 AM »
According to the eBay description, it comes with a roll over vent. It must be on the inside of the tank because I can’t see it

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 02:04:17 AM »
It might not have an actual check valve roll over vent, it might just be referring to the third port on top of the cell.  I know my ebay cell was that way.  It called out the two ports up top as a return and vent, but they are just the standard AN fittings, no actual vent valve. 

Like Rock mentioned, seems like the generally accepted method is called 3 sides and down, similar to this

This might help with the return question
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/4-0l-swap-fuel-rail-line-routing-805187/

Offline Swindle

• Paid Members
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 12:58:51 PM »
So it looks like older 4.0s had both a supply and return port on the fuel rail. Mine unfortunately only has the supply port. I think the return line on mine comes of the charcoal canister which I’m not installing. I took a picture but it’s too big to post.

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 02:40:35 PM »
There shouldn't be any actual fuel in your evap, that's just for fuel vapors off the tank its self.  Seems like your best bet is to trace the return line off your fuel pump and see where it ends up. 

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 02:42:38 PM »
sign up for imgur.com account and you can link photos using the [ img]picture web address here[/img] format, imgur gives you a link you just copy and paste
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 02:44:50 PM by toreadorranger »

Offline JKJon

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 01:25:22 PM »
Hey Tim. I actually used the stock setup from my original tank and cut a hole in fuel cell. Works perfect. And you will need a roll over check/vent for it and I capped the supply and return. You are welcome to stop by if you wanna check it out.

Offline Swindle

• Paid Members
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 12:24:36 AM »
Hi guys, update on the fuel cell is it does have an in tank check valve. Also 96 and newer 4.0s do not have a return. They require constant 50 psi at the fuel rail. The tank, supply line, pump and filter are in. Just need to install inertia switch and fuel pressure regulator. Also started the new harness and computer install.

Offline spgill2000

• Paid Members
  • Trail Passenger
  • Finally...
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 05:07:18 AM »
You know that inertia switch is gonna trip like every 2 seconds on the trails right? lol

"Trail Gauge" - '80(ish) K5 Blazer, 454, th400, sye np241, D60 4.56 locked, 14bolt ff 4.56 mini spooled, 4 whl disc, crossover/highsteer, caged, 56" spring swap x4, 5" lift, 43" TSLs, H1s, gold plated front driveshaft (don't ask), Smittybilt 12k front winch, Smittybilt 8.5k rear winch.

Offline DirtyJeep92

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 96 XJ HP44/9" 37s chopped caged.
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 05:19:35 PM »
4.0 doesnt have a return
ED 2