Author Topic: Anybody good with exhaust?  (Read 4654 times)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Anybody good with exhaust?
« on: June 23, 2017, 03:34:45 PM »
When I put the YJ on the trailer after wheeling last Saturday I noticed the tailpipe resting on the rear axle. I finally crawled under it last night and the exhaust is all screwed up. I was hoping it was just a rear hanger, but I found the rear hanger is fine, but the exhaust is now 6" too short to even reach the rear hanger, the area above the rear axle is pretzeled and pinched in 2 places, the muffler is pulled forward about 4" and against the skid plate, the moon shaped hanger from the down pipe that attaches at the trans is laying on the skid and at least 4" too short to even go into the hanger and the downpipe is almost completely pinched off right at the O2 sensor. The sensor may be the only thing that kept it from completely pinching. I must have hooked the downpipe, where it crosses underneath, on something going backwards.

Something else I have to fix before getting it emissions tested and plated before Mohawk so I can drive it to the trails.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
Re: Anybody good with exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 06:59:29 PM »
Rock must be good at fixing exhaust cuz he fixes his every time he goes wheeling LOL
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 09:04:35 PM »
Rock must be good at fixing exhaust cuz he fixes his every time he goes wheeling LOL
I don't know if that makes him good at it or just practiced because he doesn't fix it right. Lol
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline JKJon

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »
Not much help on the exhaust but on the registering, you should be able to register without emissions. I registered mine and still haven't gone. I got the notice for emissions after registering. I will have to pay a late fee, but as long as I do it before my renewal I am good. Can't renew if I don't get it done.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 02:31:13 PM »
Jon, was yours registered in CT before you bought it? Mine was last registered in NJ so that's not going to help me. I ordered some exhaust pieces last night. Will probably get down to the barn and remove the current exhaust this morning while it's raining.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline JKJon

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 03:19:03 AM »
I had a CT title. It hadn't been registered in a few years when I bought it.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 01:57:37 AM »
Does anybody have a cutting torch? Both of the bolts from the collector to the down pipe snapped. I've taken the heads off, tried pounding them through and have broken half a dozen drill bits. Exhaust is ready to go in if I can ever get the old bolts out.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Big Chuck

• President
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 04:24:17 AM »
What about a cutting wheel or a sawzall?
Tube chassis, 5.3LS, Ford Dana 60 Chevy 14 Bolt 5.13 gears. 203/205 doubler, Hydro steering, air shocks, 42 inch Iroks on 16.5 H1 double bead locks.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 01:05:42 PM »
What about a cutting wheel or a sawzall?
I have the bolts just about ground flush with the flange now. I don't want to cut the flange since I need it to mount the new down pipe. Just have to get the remnants of the bolts out. If I move a few things out of my way I may be able to get my welding tip in there to put a new bolt head on and hopefully break them free with the heat transfer
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Big Chuck

• President
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 03:45:59 PM »
I think you would get plenty of heat xfer even with a small propane torch. Oxy/cetl is going to cut thru the flange also and or melt everything in the process. Heat with regular propane torch for a few minutes and give it a sharp hammer blow.
Tube chassis, 5.3LS, Ford Dana 60 Chevy 14 Bolt 5.13 gears. 203/205 doubler, Hydro steering, air shocks, 42 inch Iroks on 16.5 H1 double bead locks.

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 12:33:09 AM »
Do you have an air hammer?

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 03:17:43 AM »
Do you have an air hammer?
I do have an air hammer. Forgot all about that in the toolbox and it give a better blow than me with a hammer and punch. I think I've got a couple ideas to try when I get another chance to get down there. Thanks
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 02:34:41 AM »
Got some time in the barn today and have holes to put bolts through. What a pain in the bum. Now to pick up a couple bolts and put the new exhaust on.
1994 YJ on 37s