The Mud Pit > Wrenching

Nutserts! Arrgh! Help! It Sucks!

(1/2) > >>

Magnum Opus:
I am totally getting my butt kicked by 10mm nutserts.  I think I might be missing something.  Like a proper tool or something.  It has to be easier than this.  I am trying to mount body cladding to the Jeep.  I have only drilled one quarter panel, and I ain't going no further till I figure this out.  Any help at all would be magical!

bonecollector:
Nutserts can be a pain. I have found that even after center punching and drilling, panel alignment can be an issue. What kind of tool do you have to install them? I have this http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-riveter-kit-94100.html, but it is for SAE sizes.

My Rusty's door armor came with something that looks like this :

http://www.homemadetools.net/homemade-rivet-nut-tool-2

Magnum Opus:
The one Smitty bilt is similar in design to rusties, only more cumbersome.  I ordered a metric riveter from amazon last night.  There is like 40 spots to rivet for this armor, so I am not gonna use that rinkie dink rig they sent me.  I think I looked at everything on youtube on the topic.  They make it look so easy.  So far the additional things I need to use the supplied kit is one mechanically inclined and trainable Kracken (yes an octopus or a squid does have enough arms to accomplish the task, but a Kracken has better upper body strength) and about 3 cheater bars.
    It will probably be good to have the riveter around.  Those M10 rivets are legit!  I don't think those were meant to be landed with common hand tools.

calvynandhobbs:
I've seen some of the parts that required those and watched a few of the videos when I was thinking about buying those said parts. Haven't ordered anything that requires them yet, but it looks like a cumbersome process.

Magnum Opus:
Starting panel 2 of 4 this morning.  It is a different kind of suck with the right tool.  So far the key is patience, will power, and a good tap.  Those damn rivnuts will spin at the drop of a hat.  I think air tools would be the answer if I had to do this again, but I am pretty sure that would be a very expensive single purpose tool.  I might get one when I grow up and retire.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version