Author Topic: Pinion bearing  (Read 2423 times)

Offline bigdaddynandez

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
Pinion bearing
« on: September 15, 2016, 04:21:27 PM »
Next weekend I will finally have some free time again, I'd like to figure out the seized (what I'm assuming) pinion bearing in the taco. I'd like to get it done before it gets too cold. I figured it's a weekend job, beer and pizza for labor if anyone can help out

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Pinion bearing
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 04:26:07 PM »
By next weekend do you mean the 17th or 24th? I'm tied up both Saturdays, but I don't think I would have been any help since I don't know anything about pinion bearing or gear set ups.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 05:42:47 PM »
Have you pulled the cover to see what it looks like inside?

Offline bigdaddynandez

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 06:27:17 PM »
Yes I pulled the cover and the gears look fine which is why I think it's probably the bearings. And it doesn't have to be the 24th but that weekend but anytime after then. And idk anything about pinions or gear set ups either, I've took out one Toyota diff for a disk brake conversion but that's the extent of it

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 04:30:35 AM »
it is not just as simple as swapping out the bearings, you will need some special tools to set up your diff. a press for one and torque wrenches, inch pound and foot pound, and a dial indicator. not trying to discourage you but you may be better off taking the axle out and bring it to someone. before you decide you should read up on what it takes to do your axle ,it's a sterling not a 14 bolt correct?
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline bigdaddynandez

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 05:08:38 AM »
it is not just as simple as swapping out the bearings, you will need some special tools to set up your diff. a press for one and torque wrenches, inch pound and foot pound, and a dial indicator. not trying to discourage you but you may be better off taking the axle out and bring it to someone. before you decide you should read up on what it takes to do your axle ,it's a sterling not a 14 bolt correct?
Yes it is

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 06:01:35 PM »
Yes it is

A 14 bolt is easier but a 10.25 isn't too bad, when you look for an install kit, try to get one with a crush sleeve eliminator, it will be easier to set up that crushing the sleeve, which can be difficult. There is so much more to think about than I can articulate here, you really need to do some research on setting up a diff so you understand everything you're getting into. for a trailer queen it doesn't have to be perfect just need to get it close...
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!