Author Topic: Shopping for skid plates  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Magnum Opus

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
Shopping for skid plates
« on: September 23, 2015, 02:35:04 PM »
I am looking around for skid plates.....specifically the sets.  The River Raider set seems to be the prominant kit.  Does anybody have any experience with these kits, or have any other recomendations?  I think the best deal I found was just over a grand.  My initial thoughts are that buying a kit , the pieces will work together better.  This one takes care of Engine, Tranny, X-fer case, and G-tank.  Sliders for the pumpkins will still be needed and the kit will allow the expansion to a long arm kit.  Please provide input.  Looking on sealing the deal this winter.

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
Re: Shopping for skid plates
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 05:44:17 PM »
Skip the sliders for the differentials.  A set of Heavy Duty diff covers are really all you need.  Anything that is going to damage a diff housing will destroy one of those differential skid plates, save your money for something else.

Offline JKJon

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 06:20:39 PM »
I have the kit from Off Road Evolution and have been happy with them. I also have the Poison Spyder evap Skid. And even with good diff covers, I would not be comfortable dragging my rear diff over rocks the way I do without my AEV diff slider. Love that thing. It protects the drive shaft where it bolts to the diff very well.

I think JKSue runs the River Raider skids on her 2dr.

Offline Magnum Opus

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 09:50:27 PM »
Thanks John and Toreador!
 I just read up on the ORE Protek kit.  Gotta do a touch more research but the bang for the buck part of the ORE kit is winning me over.  The biggest complaint I have seen thus far is that the RORR kit transfers all the weight to the frame, whereas the ORE kit on an oil pan landing sends it to the engine (then of course the mounts), then the frame.  I think the mounts can take it.  That will definately leave a bit more green to go to the next part of the build! 
The RORR definately looks sexy though......but they said the same thing about the Dodge Stealth! 
The only think I can see in favor of the RORR now is the overall sliperyness of the underbelly when done.  Even though both protect well, I gotta find out if the RORR trails better when challenged and if the extra 600 bones is worth it for a smoother belly. 
Also adding dif covers to the wish list, specifically for the front and probably a rear dif slidder.....I intend on moving forward more than reverse......awe hell I'm a clumsy driver!.....I'm gonna ask Santa Clause for a rear dif cover too!  I don't want to be a clutch stab from falling into a rock backward!

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 12:41:19 PM »
Look into the Clayton skids.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline DirtyJeep92

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 96 XJ HP44/9" 37s chopped caged.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 01:29:39 PM »
Idk much about aftermarket wrangled stuff but best I've seen is probably the undercover fab stuff. Might be worth it to check them out
ED 2

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 01:57:17 PM »
Friend of mine from work, pointed me to these skids today. 

Good budget friendly setup.

http://www.offroadevolution.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=EVO-PROTEK

Offline Magnum Opus

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 03:14:16 PM »
The ORE Evo Protek was exactly what I was looking at and comparing to RORR.  I think those might be the ones.  I will probably kick myself later, but I don't think underbelly smoothness to help slide off of rocks when comparing the two is worth the extra 600.  Plus I don't see corporate sponsership heading my way.....I think I have time for winching.  Now to decide who has the most effective diff covers.  Looks like the most price dense piece I am looking for is gonna be the AEV aft pumpkin slider.....Holy crap they are proud of those things!
     I think I am gonna have to move fast....the wife is getting smart to the money dump on the Jeep!  Got my quick disco's in this week, and regearing this weekend!  Probably not going to be able to make City Hall, but my clutch probably would not have survived if I went pre-regear!

Offline Magnum Opus

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 03:24:32 PM »
Skibum....I looked at the Claytons and I know they come with much acclaim, but just like the RORR they are missing the bang for the buck for a daily driver/monthly crawler.  (Watch me eat those words in the next 3 years)  I don't doubt their quality, and I would like to have them, but I would also like a Cummins Turbo Diesel in the rig too, not sure if the Rig is ready.

Taking into consideration that you get what you pay for....I also need to mix in paying for what I need.

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 04:21:15 PM »
RuffStuff Specialties covers are really nice.  I had one on my last D60/D70 combo.  3/8" steel both the flange and cover, never going to hurt them. 

More bang for your buck would be the Solid diff covers they are about $65 each, but are cast so they aren't as strong as the plate style covers.

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 04:31:14 PM »
The ORE Evo Protek was exactly what I was looking at and comparing to RORR.  I think those might be the ones.  I will probably kick myself later, but I don't think underbelly smoothness to help slide off of rocks when comparing the two is worth the extra 600.  Plus I don't see corporate sponsership heading my way.....I think I have time for winching.  Now to decide who has the most effective diff covers.  Looks like the most price dense piece I am looking for is gonna be the AEV aft pumpkin slider.....Holy crap they are proud of those things!
     I think I am gonna have to move fast....the wife is getting smart to the money dump on the Jeep!  Got my quick disco's in this week, and regearing this weekend!  Probably not going to be able to make City Hall, but my clutch probably would not have survived if I went pre-regear!

I still recommend skipping the diff slider, its a lot of money to spend on something that is going to reduce ground clearance and with the JK running round flanges protecting the driveshaft isn't as big of a deal compared to yoke style driveshafts.  The round flanges don't really get hung up like a U joint yoke does.  $250 goes a long way towards another mod.

Offline Magnum Opus

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 06:16:47 PM »
Point taken.  I did not think about the reduced liabilities of round flanges....Thank You!  That actually takes the costs down to well below what my initial thoughts were.  And it frees up cash for the next thing......a functional analysis of Sir Rusty Von Pokey a.k.a "Sparky" (the elderly Superwinch on the front of the Rig).  That is the next thing I think I need to make bomb proof after the mods discussed in this thread are complete!

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 11:05:55 PM »
More bang for your buck would be the Solid diff covers they are about $65 each, but are cast so they aren't as strong as the plate style covers.

What he said^, I have the Solid covers they are plenty tough enough. get lube locker gaskets no matter which cover you get!

A larger flat skid is worth it vs the narrow one. a flat one will slide over more obstacles. I  understand wanting to be budget minded but, Skids are not the area to skimp on, protection is worth its weight, just my two cents!
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 08:20:18 PM »

What he said^, I have the Solid covers they are plenty tough enough. get lube locker gaskets no matter which cover you get!

A larger flat skid is worth it vs the narrow one. a flat one will slide over more obstacles. I  understand wanting to be budget minded but, Skids are not the area to skimp on, protection is worth its weight, just my two cents!

x2 on the Solid Diff Covers and the flat skid.  If you can gain clearance in the middle of the Jeep its like adding more lift since this is the area that gets hung up on rocks.   The center skid is also the transmission/transfer case cross member, it is very important to get one that will not bend and knock the drive line out of wack.  I am more familiar with the YJ's and TJ's, but when adding a belly up skid it may require other mods like a 1" body lift and a 1" MM lift to get everything tucked up right.  Keep this in mind when pricing things out.  My Jeep has a Kilby Enterprises belly up and it has taken a beating.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 11:32:12 PM »
I've never owned a JK and don't know much about the products for them, but I do agree with what Kirk just stated.
1994 YJ on 37s