Author Topic: uptravel / bumpstops / shock length / downtravel  (Read 1180 times)

Offline bonecollector

• Paid Members
  • Trail Queen
uptravel / bumpstops / shock length / downtravel
« on: September 23, 2015, 11:52:29 AM »
I wanted to get some input on my front setup:

99XJ

IRO 8" coils / daystar extended bump stops / IRO BPEs and JKS stem conversion up top

At ride height I only have about 4-4.5" of uptravel before my shocks bottom out. Approx 16" compressed length.

With my tall coils, I have about 8" before my *extended* bumpstops will touch.

Does this seem like too little uptravel? I have LOTS of down travel (haven't measured yet). I currently have a set of 31" rollers on while I wait for my 35s to arrive. My plan was to add hockey pucks to the coil perch to make sure I don't bottom out the shock before the spring and check out how close my tires are to the fenders.

Edit: I measured my shocks 30" at full extension. Based on my calculations and a 1" stretch per 12", I chose 27" limit straps with a final extended length of 29.25 inches. I am going to mount them on my upper and lower shock mounts. This will get me ~ 8" downtravel.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 12:18:57 AM by bonecollector »

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: uptravel / bumpstops / shock length
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 01:47:27 PM »
A lot of people will tell you different answers for up travel. Some will say you need more, but I don't think the up travel is as important as the down travel. 4" of up travel should be enough. I guess I see all of these low center gravity builds and they don't have nearly as much up travel for the amount of down travel that they have. I don't remember where I saw it, but somewhere I read 1" of up travel for every 3" of down travel.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline bonecollector

• Paid Members
  • Trail Queen
Re: uptravel / bumpstops / shock length
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 11:24:02 PM »
Hockey pucks are in. Not too hard at all. I have 4 extra ones and some extra 3/8-16 4.5" long bolts left over if anyone needs them. I ended up installing 4 hockey pucks to get an uptravel of 4".