Author Topic: Advice requested: axles and regearing  (Read 3849 times)

Offline bonecollector

• Paid Members
  • Trail Queen
Advice requested: axles and regearing
« on: September 09, 2015, 03:37:19 PM »
Background: 99XJ, front axle is Dana 30 with aussie locker, 35x12.50 KM2s. I broke the drivers side front axle (sheared off ears at u-joint). Lockers installed in April of this year with new inner seals installed. I did drive it home afterwards (had to 3-wheel lightly to get to the street) and drove about 15 miles on highway).

I ordered new chromolly axles with upgraded u-joints http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-159906-nitro-dana-30-chromoly-axle-shaft-kit.html

My original plan was to install the new axles and hope my inner seals are ok. Then I was thinking about how I would eventually like to regear to 4.56 or 4.88s.

Would it be better to take the axles to a shop and regear at the same time (replacing the inner seals if needed)? I don't want to spend a fortune. Or I could install the axles myself, then if I see it leaking it must be the inner seals then evaluate if I want to regear while I am replacing seals.

Just wanted to get some insight from those who have done this before.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:46:06 PM by bonecollector »

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
Re: Advice requested: axles and regearing
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 05:25:56 PM »
Replacing inner seals is pretty straight forward.  Just have to pull the carrier,  Which might seem scary but there is no setup of gears or anything with just pulling the carrier, just plop out the carrier and then replace the seals and plop the carrier back in. 

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 01:03:14 AM »
Replacing inner seals is pretty straight forward.  Just have to pull the carrier,  Which might seem scary but there is no setup of gears or anything with just pulling the carrier, just plop out the carrier and then replace the seals and plop the carrier back in. 

What he said!

put the new shafts in first the seals may still be good...
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline bonecollector

• Paid Members
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 02:14:37 AM »
You guys talked me into it! Going for the axle sway and inner seal *inspection* HAHA. Ordered some new seals just in case. Wish me luck! Axles will arrive tomorrow.

Offline Big Chuck

• President
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 04:44:48 PM »
Brent, This is a straight forward easy swap, you shouldn't have any problems. If I was going to be around this weekend I could lend a hand, but alas, I will be in Philly!
Chuck
Tube chassis, 5.3LS, Ford Dana 60 Chevy 14 Bolt 5.13 gears. 203/205 doubler, Hydro steering, air shocks, 42 inch Iroks on 16.5 H1 double bead locks.

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 08:29:01 PM »
You guys talked me into it! Going for the axle sway and inner seal *inspection* HAHA. Ordered some new seals just in case. Wish me luck! Axles will arrive tomorrow.

Just be careful inserting the new shafts, you have to "feel" the shaft into the seal. don't just slide it in, once you're past the seal a little turn to align the splines and it will finish sliding in, you should be fine.
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline bonecollector

• Paid Members
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 02:53:50 PM »
Old axles are out! I decided to do ball joints and unit bearing while everything was apart. Does any one have a ball joint press I could borrow?

I missed the event yesterday (9/12). Many thanks to Magnun Opus for offering me a ride-a-long. I hope to get my new wheels/tires and have everything buttoned up for the 27th.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 03:13:03 PM by bonecollector »

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
  • 98 Cherokee 4.5in on 33's
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 04:39:03 AM »
Last resort you can rent one from the auto part store, and the best is that you get all the money back when you return it!

Offline bonecollector

• Paid Members
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 11:48:12 AM »
Last resort you can rent one from the auto part store, and the best is that you get all the money back when you return it!

@98XJ awesome idea! Went to advanced auto yesterday and used their loaner tool. New axle u-joints are installed!

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 01:09:16 PM »
Good to hear you got them installed, I didn't get your IM till this morning. 

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 04:54:58 AM »
I can be helpful on occasion... Lol

Offline bonecollector

• Paid Members
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 11:14:29 PM »
New axles are in.... also did ball joints, wheel bearings, inner and outer seals. New waiting for the tires to show up...

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 02:23:24 AM »
Pics or it didn't happen  ;D

Offline bonecollector

• Paid Members
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 08:38:43 PM »
Photos attached