Author Topic: DMR Offroad  (Read 4796 times)

Offline Magnum Opus

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
DMR Offroad
« on: September 02, 2015, 05:35:50 PM »
I'm not sure if anybody has used this guy (Dan) in East Hampton, but I am giving him a shot at regearing Magnum Opus from 3.21 to 4.56.  Parts and labor is quoted just shy of $1300 (not bad considering recent quotes of $2500).  I ordered the parts this morning (revolution gear).  I'll post as we go.  I am really excited about getting my 6th gear back on the HWY!

Offline Big Chuck

• President
  • Trail Master
Re: DMR Offroad
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 05:42:53 PM »
Hey there Jason, nice to see you at the meeting last night. Just a heads up, there are a few guys in the club that do gears. Don't hesitate to post up if you need some work done. You never know?
Chuck
Tube chassis, 5.3LS, Ford Dana 60 Chevy 14 Bolt 5.13 gears. 203/205 doubler, Hydro steering, air shocks, 42 inch Iroks on 16.5 H1 double bead locks.

Offline Magnum Opus

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 05:52:17 PM »
Hey Chuck!  I kinda figured as much (one of the reasons we join clubs and what not) this was one of the things I was working pre-club interduction and seems like a pretty square deal by standards so I wanted to share the info.  Plus I didn't want to be that guy that walks up and says "HI my name is Jason...wanna regear my Jeep?"  Too awkward for my taste.

While we are on the new guy thing...I need to hi-jack my own post:  Where the heck is BTC?  And will my Mall Crawler survive the carnage?  (I will ask the same question about City Hall later)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:02:07 PM »
Dan set up the gears I my TJ and also installed the Detroit in the 8.8 in my YJ. I believe he did gear work for Ed also in the past. He's a good guy and knows what he's doing. He can be a little slow with finishing the product, but he was in the middle of moving shops the last time I used him.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Magnum Opus

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 07:23:36 PM »
Thanks calvynandhobbs!  I am glad we have some data on Dan, I was feeling like I was incurring some risk as I connected with him on Craigslist.  I feel a lot better now knowing that he has done work for someone!  (getting much more excited!)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 07:30:21 PM »
A lot of the guys in the club have met him. He drives or used to drive, (not sure if he has it anymore) silver XJ on one-tons with full interior cage. He did a run up at Mabell a year or two ago with us. He goes by CT67_72 on Pirate4x4  also and has a FB page.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Big Chuck

• President
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 08:48:10 PM »
In regards to BTC and City Hall, we will get that info to you in a private message. We like to keep our wheeling spots private so as not to have undesirables messing up a good thing for us. Both spots are local one in Groton the other in Gales Ferry. BTC is a small, technical and rocky tract of land with some really nice obstacles. City Hall is a lot bigger and also has some really good stuff for everybody.
Chuck
Tube chassis, 5.3LS, Ford Dana 60 Chevy 14 Bolt 5.13 gears. 203/205 doubler, Hydro steering, air shocks, 42 inch Iroks on 16.5 H1 double bead locks.

Offline DirtyJeep92

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 96 XJ HP44/9" 37s chopped caged.
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 03:52:00 AM »
X2 on dmr off road. Been a drivetrain guy his whole life. Has an account through nitro gear and axle.at that rate it's a pretty good deal. The gears and install kits are 600 easy.Got both my axles done in 2 days and he is kind of a friend so I got hookup ;). But like others said. Ask around the club. There are a couple members who are more than capable of getting the job done.
ED 2

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 12:39:05 PM »
What is your rig and size tire?? Just curious if 4.56 will be enough.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 01:06:56 PM »
He has a JK on 33's, IIRC from the meeting.

edit: boo me I have a crappy memory
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:17:42 PM by toreadorranger »

Offline Magnum Opus

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 05:48:00 PM »
I'm rolling 35x12.5 spaced 1.5 and on stock 17" rims.  From the chart with a manual tranny and the 3.6l I ought to be a little pepier than stock with the 4.56.  If I was an auto or was gonna go bigger than 35's I would have rolled 4.88, but the rig is a daily driver (with cross country trips likely) so I didn't want to go too deep.  Idealy I would have liked to have scrapped the D30 in the front and got a locked D44, but thats a lot of greenbacks for right now, and I wanted to get the drive ratio fixed before the roads got too messy this winter (jamming the beast into first to launch around a slow turn isn't going to work this winter)  All things in time.....and I can lock later (won't have to set up the pinions for that, just the carriers)

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 03:01:14 PM »
I'm running 5.13's on 35's with a 6 speed manual transmission and the turd 3.8L. RPM's at 3000 doing 70 mph. Feel 4.88's would be a better choice for you because have a friend who installed 4.56's and now regrets not going to 4.88's. And he is also running the 6 speed and 3.8L.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Magnum Opus

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 08:06:15 PM »
I considered 4.88 specifically, and decided on the 4.56 based on the fact that I do intend on several cross continental drives and did not want my gear spread being too tight.  I anticipate an improved power distribution for the overal build over stock, but I understand it will be a mild build for crawling.  If the rig was going to be built more crawl centric a deeper set would definately be wanted, but I am going to have to mute it's trail performance to protect the high end/fuel eco/long distance driveability.  I do have a plan that in the event I get the gear set with the right rpm spread to meet all my needs that a power adder would be the next step.  I have also considered that with the 3.6l the only power adder that will make a decent differential will be forced induction (gulp) and how expensive that is, and the fact that no appreciable power occurs with FI unless you are in the higher end of the RPM band.  It is a gamble, and an expensive one, but at the cost of driveability on the Interstate I am willing to take it.  Either way I will see improvements.  I am glad it is time to jump down that rabbit hole with this rig and see where it goes.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 12:51:17 AM »
Just be happy you don't have the 3.8L. The 3.6L has 80 more HP. A cold air intake set up will give you a slight HP and MPG increase But with a lot more noise. If you want real power then drop in a Hemi but all depends how deep your pockets are.

Offline Magnum Opus

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 01:10:27 AM »
I used to have an 07, was hands down better than the 88, but the old 4.2 did a great job of producing low end power.  I kinda miss those older rigs.  When Jeep went to the v6 it changed everything, both the 3.8 and the 3.6 build their power at higher RPM so the old build plans don't work anymore and that sucks.  Every time I drive my JK like I drove my YJ I have been disappointed, you gotta drop a gear and let that v6 scream to get anywhere near the advertised hp rating.  I wouldn't speak poorly of a 3.8 either.....I kind of miss mods that do something about power like headers and CAI, where on a 3.6, nothing happens unless it is gears and a supercharger.......get the wrong mix for you and you have an expensive mistake (10k).  Engineer it wrong with a hemi swap and you are back 20k!  Get the right mix for you and you have meanness set to music!