Author Topic: New winter beater.....possible new wheeler as well  (Read 16397 times)

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
Re: New winter beater.....possible new wheeler as well
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2016, 01:28:12 AM »
I need steering and wheel centers still, but I'm doing preemptive planning for a kid next year so I'm trying to get my finances in order for that so I have been trying to be responsible and not just buy a bundle of parts.  I have to sell some parts from other projects so I can get that stuff.  Hopefully if all goes well this late spring/summer.

Side note I learned something new today, I bought positive terminals for the negative ends not realizing the battery posts are actually different sizes, so I ordered the right ones today.  That being said, the terminals were able to be just tight enough to start the truck and boy does the new setup spin that monster over.  Its like a totally different truck. 

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2016, 02:52:48 AM »
Started working on a set of rock sliders, had a ton of 2x2x.25wall square left over from my buggy build.  They are long, at 93" they are only about 1" shy of a wranglers wheel base haha.  I left a little room at the ends since I will be cutting the fenders to fit the 38's.

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2016, 01:45:18 AM »
Got the centers cut out of my H1's, cleaned up the cuts today and should have the centers in this weekend. 

I liked the look so much Im going to paint the inners gray and leave the outers blue.

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 03:15:29 AM »
Got all my wheels welded up.  I managed to not line up two of them the right way and now the studs can't be put back into the wheels, which is unfortunate, but not the end of the world.  Ill run bolts in those wheels instead of the studs, which is what I had on my other set of H1's anyways.

This next part I blame all on Rock.  I started researching 1/4" wall driveshafts.  I don't want to shorten the wheelbase of the truck so I will beef up the rear driveshaft and also run an anti-wrap bar which will double as a driveshaft protector as well. 

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2016, 03:09:45 AM »
I took advantage of ruffstuffs steering sale and ordered my steering kit for my d60. 

I also painted my wheels so they are drying as we speak. 

Offline DirtyJeep92

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 96 XJ HP44/9" 37s chopped caged.
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2016, 09:29:14 PM »
You should Bob the frame.
ED 2

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2016, 06:29:39 AM »
I'm going to keep the wheelbase but I will be bobbing about a foot from the tail end of the bed.

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2016, 01:57:42 PM »
Took a page out of JKJons book and started a list of all the shit that needs to be done on the white board in my office. 

I was able to find a BW1356 with a fixed rear yoke to replace my stock slip yoke case, Bills Auto Parts in Tolland CT, had 2 of them for $60 each, which is a really good deal considering other yards wanted 200-250 for one.  They also let me rummage around in their driveshaft shed but I wasn't able to find what I was looking for. 

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2016, 02:49:47 AM »
Was excited then bummed out, I went to start assembling my wheels and tires,  Got all the stuff together I needed, went to do the first one and realized all the lock nuts were in really bad shape, missing threads and such.  Didn't even think to check them all out after I took them off the wheels when I first got them.  So that is on hold, until McMaster Carr gets my new ones to me. 

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2016, 03:21:33 AM »
I'm in the same boat. Took a few things for granted and now I have to hunt a few more parts down.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2016, 03:28:44 AM »
Started the process of setting up gears today.  Its going to take a while at the rate Im going since this is my first attempt.  I spent most of today measuring shims, doing some math and getting everything together to start putting the new gears in.  Tomorrow or thursday Ill give it a go and see how the initial pattern looks.

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2016, 02:08:50 AM »
Gears are almost done.  Got a decent pattern out of it yesterday, didn't have a ton of time to work on them today, but I did get all the bearings pressed on and the new races in.  I was going to assemble it with the yoke It came with, but decided today to order a forged 1350 yoke for it so final assembly will have to wait for that.  I also ordered Solid Diff covers for both front and rear axles today while I was in the money spending mood, haha.

Offline DirtyJeep92

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 96 XJ HP44/9" 37s chopped caged.
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2016, 02:45:25 AM »
U bolt yokes?!
ED 2

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2016, 04:26:55 AM »
U bolt yokes?!

Yep, I hate straps.  That being said I need to check what my rear axle has on it.  Plan is to build a custom 1/4" wall rear driveshaft.  should be able to hold the truck up, haha.

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2016, 06:54:43 AM »
Diff covers and yoke came in.  I usually run ruffstuff covers but figured I'd try solid since they are so cheap.  I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of them specially since for $65 each they come with hardware and rtv.