Author Topic: New winter beater.....possible new wheeler as well  (Read 16416 times)

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
New winter beater.....possible new wheeler as well
« on: July 15, 2015, 04:19:42 AM »
Picked up a new truck from a friend at work.  

1988 F250 7.3L non turbo diesel, 5 speed.  Its a TTB front end truck with a sterling 10.25 rear.  I hate TTB with a passion,  front right tire is already wearing crazy while the other 3 are perfect.  TTB is not worth the effort to keep in good shape.  So I bought a 1986 F350 parts truck.  I looked for just a D60 front but found the whole parts truck for $500 so I cant complain about that.  Swap is very straight forward or at least it should be haha.  the entire front suspension out of the F350 should swap over to my truck and solve alot of my issues.  

Plan is to pull both axles and suspension out of the F350 and swap them over to my truck.  Going to sort through the D60 first and freshen it up.  Im also on the lookout for a set of H1 pulloffs with the 37" michelins on them, I know they arent the best tires but it still will see alot of road duty and they are cheap.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:22:59 AM by toreadorranger »

Offline DirtyJeep92

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 96 XJ HP44/9" 37s chopped caged.
Re: New winter beater.....possible new wheeler as well
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 11:55:32 AM »
If you want full size turd beater just trade Mitch for his SAS f150. He needs a new tow rig :)
ED 2

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 08:46:10 PM »
Some pictures I grabbed of the parts truck today, going to start tearing it down this weekend.  Truck is a 86 with a 460 BBF and C6 trans.

Kingpin D60

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 04:15:13 AM »
Finally got the D60 out, It was raining rust on me every time I tried to work on the truck.  It really didn't like the impact.  I had so much rust in my hair when I was finally done.  My wife was not happy with the rust in the shower, haha.

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 04:18:35 AM »
Plan is to pull the motor and trans out of the parts truck next.  Just going to sell them but they should hopefully pay for the front axle rebuild.  Going to pull the rear axle as well, It will be for sale as well.  My truck has 4.10 gears and these are 3.55's so Im going to swap a set of 4.10s into the front axle and keep my stock rear axle.  Anyone have a set of HP D60 4.10 gears?

Offline Mreecew

• Rock Crawler
  • Bonzai Samurai!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 07:30:31 PM »
If you want full size turd beater just trade Mitch for his SAS f150. He needs a new tow rig :)
I like where your heads at...
1991 Samurai, 1.3 TBI, 35" KM2's, full 2 1/4" exhaust, SOA, RUF, Trail Tough Belly Skid, 5k Winch, Locked front and rear, GRS-2 transfer case gears (4.89:1 low), Built front axle with trusses, guards, gussets and birfield rings, Shrockworks gas tank skid, junk body and not much of a top.

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 08:37:16 PM »
Id be all over that if the F150 had bigger axles under it,  I'm not a finesse driver so I need the extra strength as I have a tendency to put my foot down when things start to go wrong, haha.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 04:42:29 AM »
Does the engine run and trans in good shape ? And what are you asking for it ?
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 01:18:25 PM »
I never saw the motor run, but it turns over by hand via the flexplate. The bellhousing on the transmission had a crack in it, that I didn't see till I got the cab off.  Fluid in the trans was nice and clean, so it could be useful for a guts swap or use as spares.  The motor mounts and trans mount were in pretty bad shape, so I imagine the bellhousing cracked from them being loose.

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 01:19:27 PM »
link to my for sale ad.  Price is OBO. 

http://jt4x4.com/smf/index.php/topic,4020.0.html
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:42:56 PM by toreadorranger »

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 06:47:20 PM »
I pulled the doors off the parts truck before I scrapped it.  Plan is to fab up a simple set of half doors.  trying to salvage as much of the parts truck as I can. 

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 01:32:05 PM »
So it looks like this becoming a new wheeling rig is inevitable.  I was talking to a buddy of mine about tires and he happened to mention he still has the 38.5" TSL SX he swapped out for a set of 43's.  So ill be picking those up with a set of H1's to run on the truck.

Offline DirtyJeep92

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 96 XJ HP44/9" 37s chopped caged.
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 11:29:57 PM »
So what are the plans for suspension since its gonna be a wheeler?
ED 2

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 03:04:39 AM »
For now stock leafs front and rear, with cut fenders to fit the tires.  Long term is a Shackle flip in the rear with a shackle reversal up front.  But this ismgoing to be low budget.  I have a spare steering box so hydro assist might be in the cards as well. 

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 03:55:19 AM »
Picked up my new tires today.  It couldn't have worked out better.  I actually scored a free 38.5" SX spare tire last week, before I knew I was going to buy these other 4.  So now I have a spare tire.  I have a set of H1's at my buddies shop as well.  I need to find a set of Beadlock inserts for them.