Author Topic: New winter beater.....possible new wheeler as well  (Read 16688 times)

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
Re: New winter beater.....possible new wheeler as well
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2016, 03:36:58 AM »
Finished up my newly rebuilt steering box today.  Drilled and tapped for hydro assist.  Rebuild wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. 

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2016, 04:28:25 AM »
Making progress.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2016, 02:48:47 AM »
Little steps at a time.  It's been tough lately since I am working 7 days a week till the end of October.

Started to work on my tierod a few days ago, ran into an issue.  I bought a Y link style steering kit but didn't factor in the over the knuckle setup of the SOLID knuckles.  with my tierod so much higher up, my draglink would hit the passenger side leaf spring.  I figured I had two options either get a drop pitman arm or swap over to crossover steering.  The factory pitman arm is super beefy compared to most of the aftermarket ones Ive seen so I'm going to order a passenger side highsteer arm to go crossover instead.  Im able to use everything from the steering kit I bought other than 1 joint.  So I need to order another 2234L chevy joint for my draglink since I'm now using that joint on the tierod.

So today I had 20 minutes before dinner was ready so I got my tierod all cut and ready to be welded

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2016, 04:05:51 AM »
I had to get a ES23434?.  It's an off set end which allowed the drag link and tie rod not to interfere with each other. With the original kit they hit each other and didn't allow the end to go through the knuckle.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:29:07 PM by calvynandhobbs »
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2016, 03:41:05 AM »
Big thanks to FOURWHEELSUPPLY.  Ryan is one of the few vendors who offers a reasonably priced highsteer arm for my knuckles.  He didn't have any arms ready when I ordered and said it might get out Monday (today) as he had to machine one so I don't know what he did but it shipped friday and arrived today.   He also had the joint I needed to complete my setup in stock so I had him send one of those as well. 

1.25" thick steel arm, with the 6th bolt and keyway for my knuckle.

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2016, 01:02:00 AM »
Back on all fours.  Will be cutting the fenders for sure.  Waiting on my countersink bit so I can get my crossover steering arm on the axle and measure for my draglink. 

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2016, 01:32:36 AM »
Looking good
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2016, 12:42:11 AM »
Got my hoist back today from a buddy so I was compelled to take these.  The front end has a lot more movement than I was expecting out of the leafs.

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2016, 10:20:22 AM »
A 203/205 doubler popped up on one of the Facebook for sale sites for pretty cheap, so I couldn't resist.  

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2016, 02:33:13 PM »
Almost got my steering finished.  Was attempting to finish plumbing it, and when I went to mount my steering cooler in front of my Radiator (original to the truck), the fins are literally crumbling off.  It has also been weeping at the tank to core brazed connection so I guess it was time to replace it. Ordered up an aluminum Ebay special rad.  It won't be wheelable but right now the plan is to at least drive to Toys for Tots.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 02:36:54 PM by toreadorranger »

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2016, 03:33:18 PM »
It will be great to see it in person.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline bigdaddynandez

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2016, 05:23:03 PM »
Did you do an rsk or are you just cutting the fenders to make those wheels fit? I just got an obs and I haven't decided how I want to lift it for bigger wheels

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2016, 07:33:46 PM »
I took a sawzall to the fenders.  If your building a street/tow rig, check out http://www.skysoffroaddesign.com, they should have a decent setup for pretty much what ever height your looking for.

Offline bigdaddynandez

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2016, 10:26:13 PM »
Sweet thanks. Btw I have a set of brand new set brake pads for the sterling if you want. I'm doing a disc brake conversion and won't need them

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2017, 10:56:50 PM »
After the Work and wheel yesterday I was able to get the front fuel tank out so I went ahead and chopped it up today.  I took 10" out in total.  So the new wheelbase will be 123".  I'm going to refresh the bushings in the rear leafs and I will be bobbing the rear of the frame and running bumper mounted shackle setup to gain some lift so I can lose the rear blocks that are in the truck now.