Author Topic: axles upgrades  (Read 2217 times)

Offline MonkeyJeep

• Trail Passenger
axles upgrades
« on: June 29, 2015, 08:18:01 AM »
I am new to the club and new to swapping out front and rear axles. I need some help and opinions on this and should I continue with the axles listed below or if someone knows anything about the axles...any insdgiht and help I can get is well appreciated. Right now I have DANA 30/35's with 3.07 gears on a 02 TJ. I know that I will have to switch to coils from the spring over. 

89 Waggy D44: 4.56s,Ox-locker,Evo shafts 760 spicer joints, poison spider high steer arms with 1 1/2 .250 wall DOM steering links,warn locking hubs. Ox-locker comes with shifter and cable.
Ford exploder 8.8: 4.56s, welded(the right way so no nuts and bolts as filler),Moser cromo shaft in 6 lug to match the front,blue torch diff cover,traction bar mounts

Both axles are setup for Spring over.

Dana 44 : $1400
Ford 8.8 : $400

Or $1600 for the pair.

Front axle may sound like is priced high but when you add up the costs of all the things that you build up an axle with it adds up fast. Ox-locker alone is $800-900 and you still need to get the controls for it. Aftermarket shafts will set you back about $700 and a gear set with install will install set hit you up for $350 maybe a little more. And if you dont know how to set them up then you can add $300 for shop time. And thats just some of the big items. Its really crazy how fast things add up even when you do the work.

Thanks,
Curtis
The journey of a thousand mile starts with one step - LAO TZU. What am I kidding, get out there and JUST DO IT!!

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
Re: axles upgrades
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 01:21:14 PM »
This truss for the front with the options for brackets, coil buckets and trac bar mount.

https://www.tntcustoms.com/jeep_parts/front_axle_truss_wagoneer_d44_80

Get this for the 8.8, will make the swap in the rear very straight forward. 

http://www.artecindustries.com/TJ-88-Swap-Kit-with-Truss_p_233.html

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 01:40:51 PM »
another option is Rubicon Express brackets for the front.

http://bc4x4.com/pv/tj/fa/brackets.cfm

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 02:35:35 PM »
How much do you plan to drive your TJ on the road? Have you ever driven a welded rear axle on the road in a vehicle? I can tell you from experience that tire wear will be crazy from all the scrubbing during corners and you'll get a lot of looks pulling into the parking lot at Walmart with tires chirping and your rig bouncing as it tries to get into a parking spot. The TJ short wheelbase and coils in the rear make a lot of difference compared to an XJ or other longer vehicle with leafs when running a welded rear. It will be fine for a while, but you'll want to save some money to put a Detroit or selectable in the rear in the future.

Since I have gone that route before, when I bought my 8.8 that is currently in my YJ it was welded and I had that replaced with a Detroit before even installing it.

Those are good axle upgrades for your TJ though. You'll just have to spend some time getting the perches corrected for coils and the links above are great for what you're doing.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 04:52:02 PM by calvynandhobbs »
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline toreadorranger

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 04:19:58 PM »
Id say the front end isn't that bad of a price, I sold my old Waggy front 44 for $900 which was essentially a stock axle with high steer and gears and lunchbox locker, so $1400 isn't that far out for the additional parts in that one.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 04:55:42 PM »
You don't even want to know what I paid for my Waggy 44 with chromoly shafts, 4.88 gears and spool along with a welded 8.8 with 4.88 gears. Both pulled from a YJ set up SOA, which is exactly what I was doing with mine.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline MonkeyJeep

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 06:54:02 AM »
Thanks for the advice and comments everyone. I has helped and going to go look at them tomorrow. Will let you know how they are.

Curtis
The journey of a thousand mile starts with one step - LAO TZU. What am I kidding, get out there and JUST DO IT!!

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 01:42:37 AM »
So how did they look?  I was just thinking about this. What's the biggest size tire you plan to run on your TJ?  If you're not planning to go larger than 35s you may be able to find a TJ D44 from a Sport. I don't know if they all came with them, but my Sport came with a D44 rear with 3.73 gears. It would safe you the fabrication hassle and 3.73s is an ok ratio up to 33s.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 04:29:54 PM by calvynandhobbs »
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 02:23:34 PM »
You are right Roger, Sports came with D44 in the rear but not the front.  To the origonal person, keep your eyes peeled for rubicon axles, both D44 and come with lockers, 4.10 gears.  Thats what I did and they're great. 

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
  • 98 Cherokee 4.5in on 33's
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 04:37:36 PM »
I bought a set of build front and rear 44s a couple months back for 2000. (12 for the front and 8 for the rear). it might be a little on the high end up considering what you're getting it might be worth it