Author Topic: Regear options.  (Read 3583 times)

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
  • 98 Cherokee 4.5in on 33's
Regear options.
« on: August 20, 2014, 10:27:42 PM »
I looked into regearing my XJ myself but it's way to intense of a job for me to tackle. Any good CT shops that you all know of?  Not urgent necessarily, but my pinion seal is leaking so I figured I'd knock out two birds with one stone since I was going to regear at some point anyway. Thanks ahead.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Regear options.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 01:24:42 AM »
There are a few guys in the club that have used Stop & Go Transmission on Poquonnock, out in front of Big Y in Groton and have been very happy with their work.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 02:20:24 PM »
Okay, I'll give them a call I'm just checking out my options. CT axle quoted me like 425 an axle in labor not including gears seals lockers misc.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 09:27:38 PM »
Its a very labor intensive job. Did mine myself and hope I never have to do it again.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 02:00:57 PM »
That's what I hear. The exact reason I won't do it haha I'll leave it to the pros

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 04:43:31 PM »
What do you have for a rear axle? Just want to make sure you're not planning on regearing  the weak D35.
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 04:47:45 PM »
Nope. 29 spline Chrysler eight and a quarter. Going to Yukon 4.56  gears and a front locker (either Eaton e locker or Ox cable locker) haven't decided.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 12:54:09 PM »
What size tire are you going to use ?
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 05:00:30 PM »
33. I hear that it's closest to the stock ratio with an aw4.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 06:59:12 PM »
AW4 is a very strong transmission and will take just about anything you throw at it so long you keep it cool.

Axle wise, 4.56 is a good ratio for you.  On a front D30, 4.56's still allow for three teeth on the pinion to be engaged on the ring gear at a time.  4.88's and you'll drop to two teeth engaging at a time.  Just helps with strength considering the ring gear size on a D30.

Does your XJ have the high pinion D30 front?  A lot of the XJ's did, which also helps.  A high pinion arrangement is stronger in front differentials when compared to a low pinion set up.

Do you plan to run lockers?  If you do, it would be better to install them while gearing the axles.  33's will live fine with a lunch box style locker and if this is the route you go you'll still be able to do them later.  This said, if I was the installer for your gears, I would much rather do it at the same time.  The front you'd have to pull the carrier to install the locker.  I'm not a fan of pulling carriers following a gear setup.  I know you can, and I have on my TJ's D44 rear, but it just makes me uneasy.

I've done quite a few of these.  If you have any other questions, let me know.
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 07:08:21 PM »
I talked to a guy up in Ellington and made loose plans to knock out the job in a couple months.  I plan on running 456 and locking the front (hi-pinion D30) since I need to replace the stock carrier regardless.  Since the stock carrier in the 8.25 can hold a 456 ring I'm not going to lock the rear.  As far as lockers I wanted to go selectable simply because I drive so much and I like having the option of choosing when it is and is not engaged.  He suggested Eaton E-locker, but personally I wanted an OX cable locker.  I haven't quite decided which I'm going to go with as of yet but so far that's where I am.   ??? Also looking into chromoly shafts, I'm not sure if there are any re-gear kits out there that include shafts or not but I guess I can take a look. 

Offline Mreecew

• Rock Crawler
  • Bonzai Samurai!!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 03:00:18 AM »
I talked to a guy up in Ellington and made loose plans to knock out the job in a couple months.  I plan on running 456 and locking the front (hi-pinion D30) since I need to replace the stock carrier regardless.  Since the stock carrier in the 8.25 can hold a 456 ring I'm not going to lock the rear.  As far as lockers I wanted to go selectable simply because I drive so much and I like having the option of choosing when it is and is not engaged.  He suggested Eaton E-locker, but personally I wanted an OX cable locker.  I haven't quite decided which I'm going to go with as of yet but so far that's where I am.   ??? Also looking into chromoly shafts, I'm not sure if there are any re-gear kits out there that include shafts or not but I guess I can take a look. 

IF you put a lunchbox in the front and its correctly installed you will never know its there, but driving in snow is something to get used to with it. I'd go with an ox over e locker. Ox comes with a heavy duty diff cover and is also a simple design with a strong cable. The E locker would be great also but if the wire gets hit or pulled and is damaged it will become an issue. You could also go with ARB but thats more money and in my mind I wouldn't want one. On board air could be better used in my opinion. Chromos will be a great upgrade, but one that can wait, I'm sure you don't want to wheel it like a trail rig since you drive it on the street a lot so the shafts you have now will be good with 33's, I wheeled my xj locked f&r with stock shafts on 35's and only broke one u joint and that was because it was dry and going bad to begin with. If you use good spicer 760x joints your stock shafts will last you a long time. My father hasn't been able to break a 97+ axle since he put them in and hes putting 400hp to them on 35's. Same with dirty ed and his xj, 4.88's 4.0 and a 5 speed on 35s and I don't recall him ever breaking one. All I'm trying to say is, don't stress on getting chromos until you really need them and when you do need them buy RCV's they don't bind and they have a great warranty. They cost a little more but you'll never have to sit on the phone and argue why you need new shafts because a u joint failed and warped the ears.

What to take away:
OX LOCKER is your best bet for value
Chromo's can wait but if you feel otherwise save and buy RCV's they are worth it

1991 Samurai, 1.3 TBI, 35" KM2's, full 2 1/4" exhaust, SOA, RUF, Trail Tough Belly Skid, 5k Winch, Locked front and rear, GRS-2 transfer case gears (4.89:1 low), Built front axle with trusses, guards, gussets and birfield rings, Shrockworks gas tank skid, junk body and not much of a top.

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 09:03:16 PM »

"They cost a little more but you'll never have to sit on the phone and argue why you need new shafts because a u joint failed and warped the ears. "
 That sounds very specific lol
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.  I've received the same wisdom about stock shafts, people tell me its cheaper to pull 'em at scrapyards and whatnot and keep spares rather than breaking bank on chromos.  As far as lockers, chances are I was going to go with OX all along, I just wanted to have my options.   ;D

Offline Mreecew

• Rock Crawler
  • Bonzai Samurai!!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 10:34:18 PM »
Lol ironically enough I've never made that call, for chromos at least I mean hell I never broke the chromos I bought for my f150. I have called autozone service to try and get them to replace shafts though due to premature ujoint failure, which didn't work.
1991 Samurai, 1.3 TBI, 35" KM2's, full 2 1/4" exhaust, SOA, RUF, Trail Tough Belly Skid, 5k Winch, Locked front and rear, GRS-2 transfer case gears (4.89:1 low), Built front axle with trusses, guards, gussets and birfield rings, Shrockworks gas tank skid, junk body and not much of a top.

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 05:59:30 AM »
Autozone has never done it for me. When I need a fake chrome hood scoop, I'll head over there.