Author Topic: Tires!?  (Read 4367 times)

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
  • 98 Cherokee 4.5in on 33's
Tires!?
« on: July 01, 2014, 02:46:11 PM »
So my Cherokee is a DD. I'm currently running pro comp mt's (old style)  in a 33. And they're not unbearable on road and perform well offroad. I'm gonna need to invest in a new set soon however and I'm drawn to Wrangler Duratrac because of 1.the road manners 2.wet/snow/ice performance. Unfortunately the sidewalls are pretty thin I hear and they're frankly not as aggressive as I'd like them to be.
My other option is a set of Bfg Mts which are great overall but I hear that they are not fantastic in snow and wet conditions. What do you all think?

Offline Mayhem

• BANNED
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Tires!?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
Go with the Duratracs.  Great all around tire. The side walls will be fine.  They make C load range and E load range.  Just get the C.  E would be more stiff than necessary for the weight of a Jeep.
Greg
Model Citizen

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 03:35:45 PM »
I think Frank ran Duratracs on his Rubicon and he did well offroad. I have never run them, but they are very popular for a dual purpose tire.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Mreecew

• Rock Crawler
  • Bonzai Samurai!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »
Both are great tires, the duratracs will last longer but the km2's (bfg mt) will outperform them offroad and aren't the far off as far as road manners. I've ran 35" km2's on both my f150 I had and my XJ and they balance amazing (none of them needed more than 5oz. which is crazy low for a MT) they are decently quiet and offroad they grip.... everything. I ran them for a winter on my f150 they did great! They grip nice and clean out snow and mud very well, better than MT/R's with kevlar (just my opinion). I've also heard of km2's lasting 50k miles when mounted on proper size rims and rotated when necessary. Good luck with your decision.
1991 Samurai, 1.3 TBI, 35" KM2's, full 2 1/4" exhaust, SOA, RUF, Trail Tough Belly Skid, 5k Winch, Locked front and rear, GRS-2 transfer case gears (4.89:1 low), Built front axle with trusses, guards, gussets and birfield rings, Shrockworks gas tank skid, junk body and not much of a top.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 06:18:45 PM »
I have the Kevlar MTR's. The grip and sidewall duribility off road is amazing. However on light covered roads they are by far the worst tire I have ever experinced. Deep snow there ok. They seem ok in the mud but I avoid mud at all costs anyways.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 06:24:41 PM »
Thanks for the input. I can get 33x10.5 km2s on Amazon for 170, and I think the duratrac in a 12.5 wide is around 200. Not really a huge price difference. The  narrower width should help with road manners? Maybe  I'll just go cheap so I can save up for my 34x9.5 super swampers pizza cutters  ;D
I've also heard good things about Cooper stt....
Too many options!  :(

Offline Mreecew

• Rock Crawler
  • Bonzai Samurai!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 07:07:49 PM »
The narrow width will help with turning in snow thats really the extent of it. You will get more stability and traction out of the wider tires. The STT's are pretty good also they wear good and I've seen them do work on the rocks. Now don't take this next bit to heart, if you go with the the km2's you will be down grading to swampers when you buy them the narrow tread and old styling of the three stage lug don't perform as well as some of the newer tread designs (km2, mtr/k, duratrak, stt). The krawler inspired tread thats advertised with the km2 isn't just a sales pitch, its real. The km2 is based off of a competition tire and they can work some serious magic, my xj and eds (dirtyjeep92) are proof of that.... But once again this is the internet and its all opinion.
1991 Samurai, 1.3 TBI, 35" KM2's, full 2 1/4" exhaust, SOA, RUF, Trail Tough Belly Skid, 5k Winch, Locked front and rear, GRS-2 transfer case gears (4.89:1 low), Built front axle with trusses, guards, gussets and birfield rings, Shrockworks gas tank skid, junk body and not much of a top.

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 06:25:22 PM »
The narrow width will help with turning in snow thats really the extent of it. You will get more stability and traction out of the wider tires. The STT's are pretty good also they wear good and I've seen them do work on the rocks. Now don't take this next bit to heart, if you go with the the km2's you will be down grading to swampers when you buy them the narrow tread and old styling of the three stage lug don't perform as well as some of the newer tread designs (km2, mtr/k, duratrak, stt). The krawler inspired tread thats advertised with the km2 isn't just a sales pitch, its real. The km2 is based off of a competition tire and they can work some serious magic, my xj and eds (dirtyjeep92) are proof of that.... But once again this is the internet and its all opinion.
Have you considered doing sales for BFgoodrich? Lol
I really appreciate the input, thank you. Since you drive an xj as well the advice is well taken.  I'm going to go with whichever I can get a better deal on (km2 and duratrac)

Offline Mreecew

• Rock Crawler
  • Bonzai Samurai!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 12:28:32 AM »
Have you considered doing sales for BFgoodrich? Lol
I really appreciate the input, thank you. Since you drive an xj as well the advice is well taken.  I'm going to go with whichever I can get a better deal on (km2 and duratrac)

At 170 you can't go wrong and given 170 for km2's your getting the most out of it. I sell bfg's already.... and michelins and goodyears and hankooks, as long as they are on the cars I'm selling lol. I'm JT's resident salesman.... that nobody buys from lol!!!!!!

Offline DirtyJeep92

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 96 XJ HP44/9" 37s chopped caged.
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 03:21:40 AM »
My opinion is km2s hands down. Dont sacrafice performance for endurance :D
ED 2

Offline JKSue

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 03:49:47 AM »
Go with the Duratracs.  Great all around tire. The side walls will be fine.  They make C load range and E load range.  Just get the C.  E would be more stiff than necessary for the weight of a Jeep.

Mine are E rated & I have no complaints. I love my Duratracs - I just wish they made them in a 37. :D

But, now that it's not my DD I might be inclined to look at something else if I were in the market for tires.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 03:59:49 AM by JKSue »

Offline Mreecew

• Rock Crawler
  • Bonzai Samurai!!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 05:13:17 AM »
Go with the Duratracs.  Great all around tire. The side walls will be fine.  They make C load range and E load range.  Just get the C.  E would be more stiff than necessary for the weight of a Jeep.

Mine are E rated & I have no complaints. I love my Duratracs - I just wish they made them in a 37. :D

But, now that it's not my DD I might be inclined to look at something else if I were in the market for tires.
They make km2's in a 37....
My opinion is km2s hands down. Dont sacrafice performance for endurance :D

Seeeeeee ^ the other xj guy finally showed up

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »
Wow. So much XJ love  :-* I'm thinking of going with the km2's just because I can get them cheapest. I'd rather run a 12.5 than a 10.5, but the 12.5's aren't on sale.  It's not the biggest deal ever though. 
Not sure if I should start a new thread or not but are any of you familiar with CT axle service in Ellington?

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 02:53:23 PM »
I highly recomend you check out Discount Tire Direct. I bought all 5 rims and tires from them 3 yrs ago and they just warrenteed a tire for me that was 3/4 worn. They are extreamly nice and professional.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 03:47:50 PM »
I'm actaully getting a better price through tirerack.  Did you say they sell used though?