Author Topic: 97 TJ project  (Read 1900 times)

Offline smaug1911

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
97 TJ project
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:10:25 PM »
So I just got a 97 TJ to work on from a friend. I hope to give it back to them by June.
Gonna need alot of work. Hopefully you Jeep guys can help me out with some advice on good parts to use.
Let's start with complete exhuast manifold back....any advice?
97 V6 Tacoma TRD. 2.5" front coil spacers. 3.5' Downey leaf springs, 2" 4Crawler body Lift, rear Bilstein 5125's, 35" BFG KM2's, Skid row transfer skid, Ocean State Crawlers front winch bumper, custom rear bumper, Kajobuilt sliders, deckplate mod, grey wire mod, Smittybilt XRC8.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
Re: 97 TJ project
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 12:38:26 PM »
Depends on how much cash he has. Lits start on exhaust. The 4.0L alwAys had issues with cracked exhaust manifolds. Jeep cured this with an updated manifold with flex joints at each end pipe. But at $600 not sure your budy want's to spend that. Not sure any after market manifold has thoes flex joints but some offer good Warranties. Just do some resurch on line. Google is your best friend on this.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 04:44:07 AM »
There is at least one aftermarket pipe on the market with the flex joints also. I prefer those over the headers. I've seen a couple of the headers crack just like the stock manifold did.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 09:42:16 AM »
There is at least one aftermarket pipe on the market with the flex joints also. I prefer those over the headers. I've seen a couple of the headers crack just like the stock manifold did.

My Bro-in-law had a Borla that was replaced 3 times in 2 years because it kept cracking at the collector.  Your best bet is to look for a stock maniford on Ebay.  The 4.0L only sees minor performance gains with a header and the reliability goes way down.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline smaug1911

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 06:06:16 PM »
I've seen some aftermarket manifolds with flex joints under $200...rockauto.

Any other consistent problem areas I should be aware of?
This thing has been sitting for about 5 years and something(s) have definitely lived in it.
97 V6 Tacoma TRD. 2.5" front coil spacers. 3.5' Downey leaf springs, 2" 4Crawler body Lift, rear Bilstein 5125's, 35" BFG KM2's, Skid row transfer skid, Ocean State Crawlers front winch bumper, custom rear bumper, Kajobuilt sliders, deckplate mod, grey wire mod, Smittybilt XRC8.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 11:11:19 PM »
If you're talking problems outside of the exhaust where you want to start check for rust. TJs are notorious for frame rust where the t-case skid bolts in. Ask Steve about that work on his TJ. They also have lots of rust around the control arm mounts to the frame. A lady at my church had a 98 TJ that looked great body-wise and the frame was completely rotted. Rear control arm pulled out of the frame. If little critters have been living in it I would try to check every wire and make sure none are eaten into. The drivetrains are usually really good in the TJs, its just all the other things that cause problems.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 12:53:20 PM »
Stuart Little can cause alot of damage. As long as every electronic thing works inside the jeep and worning lights are on then its probably okay. Due to it sitting for a long time I would give the brakes Close attention. Definitely flush all the old brake fluid out and check all caliper slides.  Change all fluids due to moisture. Don't be suprised if things like oil seals start to leak soon after its back on the road and posible calopers or wheel cylinders start to hang up.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts