Author Topic: 92 Wrangler Transmission  (Read 1818 times)

IrishStPatrick

92 Wrangler Transmission
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:20:43 PM »
I know I'm about to sound retarded, but asking is better than ignoring. I have no idea where to check or fill my manual transmission fluid.
If anyone could help me out it would be greatly apreciated. I have a 2.5L '92 Wrangler. The transmission sounds like metal is rubbing inside,
and I need to get it fixed as soon as possible. Please help!  :-\
-Patrick

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Re: 92 Wrangler Transmission
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 08:37:10 PM »
There will be a plug aprox half way up the case on the side (not sure which, check your hanes/chilton manule, or any jeep owners help), that is your fill point/level check point.  take the plug out and stick your finder (pinky or if you have big fingers, a "probe") in.  you should feel fluid just below the opening.  add till it comes to the bottom of the fill hole.  ensure your jeep is on level ground when you do this to ensure proper fill.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

IrishStPatrick

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 08:43:14 PM »
Thank you. I'll do that.  ;D

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 10:09:17 PM »
I think the plug is on the drivers side, it should be a 3/8 allen.

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:12:09 PM »
if you've been hearing scraping I suggest pulling the plug on the botton and taking a look at what comes out, if theres a whole bunch of metal chunks you're screwed,

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 12:50:53 AM »
i'd be careful either way. pay attention to how is shifts, and how well it maintains speed.

also might be something else like your CAT clanking around or bad u-joints. my exhaust makes noise once in a while, when it started i thought i was having issues with u-joints or my diff's. but it has just rattled enough to wear off all the rust. also, you might want to check if you have lost a weight off your drive shafts.