Author Topic: NEW RIG!!!!!!!!  (Read 3295 times)

Offline Carfreek458

• Mudd Hog
  • Go big or go home
NEW RIG!!!!!!!!
« on: October 18, 2013, 01:59:07 AM »
So bought a 90 YJ as a new rig needs work but its SOA 8.8 in the rear with disc brakes it has 4.10s and is a 4banger but it runs good so im just gonna use it till it pops but heres a pic of what im working with.
1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ 5spd, 4in lift, locked D30/Ruff stuff diff cover, Detours back bone/JCR frame stiffeners Quadratec winch, Full exhaust, Tomken engine/tranny skid, Custom HD crossmember, Rock Hard roll cage, Rock Hard rear bumper, JCR Upper quarter gaurds with LED tail lights and 33s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Re: NEW RIG!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 09:33:43 AM »
Spring over with a lift kit?  I have seen some really nice spring over set-ups with stock or very small lift springs.  The sping over with arched springs doesnt allow the suspension to flex much. 

The four banger responds well to exhaust and intake mods.  The HP is pretty close to the old 4.2L I6, but they lack the tourque. 

Good luck with your new project.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 02:07:16 PM »
It looks good, but it does look tall. Do you know what size lift springs are in it? What size are those tires? My YJ is going SOA also, but I'm hoping it doesn't end up looking too tall.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Carfreek458

• Mudd Hog
  • Go big or go home
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 08:11:36 AM »
im assuming they are 4.5 leafs they are made by BDS but like you guys are saying its way to tall for my taste.So would stock leafs with add a leaf with boomerang shackles work well?
1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ 5spd, 4in lift, locked D30/Ruff stuff diff cover, Detours back bone/JCR frame stiffeners Quadratec winch, Full exhaust, Tomken engine/tranny skid, Custom HD crossmember, Rock Hard roll cage, Rock Hard rear bumper, JCR Upper quarter gaurds with LED tail lights and 33s

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 09:48:27 AM »
im assuming they are 4.5 leafs they are made by BDS but like you guys are saying its way to tall for my taste.So would stock leafs with add a leaf with boomerang shackles work well?

Any thing over a 2" lift spring is going to be way to tall I have ran 3 different sets of springs in my jeep in the soa configuration and I finally got it right for now till I break the current set then I will order another set just like these but my first set was some 2" Yj lift springs with stock 4" shackles and it looked way to tall so I did not even drive on them so I swapped in a set of semi arched grand wagoneer springs with a 6" shackle which is about 1.5" lift in stock Yj lift spring measurements and it set my rocker panel height at 29" with 32" tires that was an OK setup it flexed well and rode nice I drove it that way for 2 years but I kept eating main springs due to the extra long shackle kept getting hit so I re worked the spring mounts so I could get a proper pinion angle and caster with a shorter shackel. Now when I put in my Dana 60 I played with it some more I have everything right where it needs to be and I have yet to break a main leaf but I did install a custom set of main leaves that are flat zero rate main leaf with a zero rate military wrap second leaf  and I clamp them down tight I got 8 leaf spring clamps per spring made out of 14 gauge steel that is wrapped around the spring pack and welded together the new spring and shackle combination works awesome but I got $$$ in my springs but I am at a good height and the stability of leaf springs is awesome

The current height specs for the front of my rig is
24" under the frame near the rear spring mount
23" under the skid plate
28" under the rocker panel
That is with 4 lbs in a 38x12.50x16.5 tsl  if I go up to 10 lbs of air add an inch to every thing

From what I have found in my own experance when getting wheel travel out of a Yj you are limited by the shocks you will need custom shock mounts to get any decent length shock to fit. I used the F-250 shock mounts and they are the perfect for me I run a 15" travel shock that is 37" extended length the top of the shock mount is welded in so it rubs the inner fender but I have 6" of up travel at the shock and 9" down travel

So my recomemdations for an soa rig is to use the longest flattest  spring you can make fit (a waggy spring is 3" longer than a stock Yj springand bolts into the stock leaf spring mounts and has a 2" offset center pin giving you a 2" wheel base stretch) run a 4" shackle straight or boomerang it don't matter boomerang shackles help the spring eye travel higher than the frame which is not a problem in the front  and no shackle reversal

Make since
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »
For got the pics leaf springs can flex

That is currently how much my front end flexes yes it works good
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Carfreek458

• Mudd Hog
  • Go big or go home
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 02:55:58 PM »
I had tim patch my new 4.0 YJ frame and it came out great and i also painted it in zerorust with 2 coats. next is leaf springs and body mounts then the body can go back on.

Offline Carfreek458

• Mudd Hog
  • Go big or go home
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 02:58:47 PM »
More pics.

Offline Rampage

• Paid Members
  • Mudd Hog
  • PROJECT RAMPAGE 08 Rubicon JKU 10 Ton axles ;)
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 10:29:44 PM »
Nice job Tim an cnt wait to see it back on the trails.
08 JKU
Stock motor/trani/4:1 T-Case
AXletech 4000's😜 5:63's Locked
Double Triangulated 4 link
46x15.50R20 Goodyear MVT's