Author Topic: Mazda Clutch  (Read 1776 times)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Mazda Clutch
« on: July 15, 2013, 04:49:17 PM »
Anybody here have any experience with a Mazda Miata clutch? Started giving me trouble yesterday and this morning I had to double-clutch to get it to shift gears. I just went out to the parking lot and found the clutch reservoir empty. I'm borrowing a car to pick up fluid at lunch to get it home, but I've done searching and it looks like the clutch slave cylinder is likely the culprit, but parts are so cheap I think tonight I'll be replacing the master cylinder, slave cylinder and hydraulic hose between the two.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Mazda Clutch
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 10:51:45 PM »
Parts won't come in till tomorrow, but I added the fluid and it drives fine. The clutch is just soft and doesn't take much. I'm sure there's probably air in the line, but that will be taken care of once I replace the parts and bleed the system. I'm thinking I may bleed the brakes while I'm working on it. The brake fluid is solid black and probably the original fluid from 1994.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Mayhem

• BANNED
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:16:38 AM »
I had an old Toyota truck that stared leaking from the clutch master.  Same symptoms you describe.  Changed the master and bled it.  Problem solved.
Greg
Model Citizen

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 04:13:18 AM »
Was there any fluid on the ground under the car? sometimes a slave will weep over the years.

PS; I like the new avatar!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:18:13 AM by Mr Rock »
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 04:28:08 AM »
Was there any fluid on the ground under the car? sometimes a slave will weep over the years.

PS; I like the new avatar!

No, there wasn't any fluid under the car. I did some searching and found a Miata forum where they talked about the slave and that many times there won't be any visible leakage because of the rubber boot. The fluid leaks into that boot and never is visible. It said to squeeze the boot or pry it up on one side and if you have fluid leak out that's the problem. Sure enough, I squeeze the boot and the fluid ran out so it's been trapped in there for a while.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Mayhem

• BANNED
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 02:56:51 PM »
Them interwebs is helpful.
Greg
Model Citizen

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »
Them interwebs is helpful.

I think I'm addicted to looking anything and everything up. ;D Even if I already have the information I can sometimes run across some tips and tricks to make the repairs easier.
1994 YJ on 37s