Author Topic: Let the Games Begin  (Read 4227 times)

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
Let the Games Begin
« on: June 20, 2013, 10:27:53 AM »
I received my 4" lift kit yesterday. ;D Starting Thursday afternoon I will be removing the current oil pan skid plate and taking care of a bad UV joint. Hopefully this weekend I will start to install my lift. Due to my current schedule I will only be able to work on it on Saturday and Sunday afternoons for 5 hours at a time.  After I have installed the lift I will be putting on two new skid plates. (Oil Pan & Transmission) Finally (for now) I will be putting on 35"s.

Since the mixup with the tires I have been looking at Tube Fenders to give myself a little extra clearance.  I think I have found the right set for the TJ.

http://www.metalcloak.com/Jeep-Wrangler-TJ-LJ-YJ-6-Arched-Front-Flare-p/2260.htm

http://www.metalcloak.com/Jeep-Rear-Fender-Flare-TJ-LJ-YJ-CJ-p/2426.htm

My hope is to have all this done in time for Florida Vacation. I will let you know for sure when I am working on it. Any help would be... well... helpful.   :)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Let the Games Begin
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 02:27:49 PM »
Metalcloaks look great. I've been eyeing them, but I'm a cheapskate.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 11:01:50 AM »
what is a uv joint
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 10:26:59 AM »
It's a universal joint that is painted Violet.

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 10:08:42 PM »
I realize that almost everyone works on weekdays but unfortunately my schedule doesn't give me ample time to work on weekends so I figured I would let you know that i will be installing my Skyjacker 4" lift starting Wednesday afternoon and have it completed, hopefully, by Thursday night.  If anyone wishes to stop by feel free I wouldn't mind the company.  I have read through the instructions several times and will review them again before I start.  I am going to get all my tools and parts ready before Wednesday so I can jump right into it.  For most of you, the next time you see my TJ, after this week, it will be approximately 6"s taller.  ;D

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 06:16:29 AM »
lol
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 02:06:22 PM »
Started last night. Yesterday I spent time getting the things I "needed" and "wanted" together to help make the project flow as smoothly as possible. I have also spent time reviewing the directions and watching peoples videos on Youtube. The Youtube videos inspired me to purchase an air compressor (Wanted) and also convinced me to go to Advanced Auto to rent both a Coil Spring Compressor and a Pitman Arm Puller (Needed). So far I have found my biggest adversary to be rusty nuts and bolts. I have been generous with the Liquid Wrench. I found that using the compressor with the impact wrench was helpful until the compressor kicked in and woke the entire family and potentially the neighbors as well, so it was back to hand tools.  I am just waiting this morning for my daughter to wake up and then its full steam ahead. I expect to be done with the front end by this afternoon and have the whole thing completed by tomorrow evening. Wish me luck.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 03:48:10 PM »
New England winters take a toll on the nuts and bolts of our vehicles. I have found that 70% of the work is removing the old parts and only 30% for installation of the new.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 04:17:43 PM »
Try PB Blaster

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 04:52:38 PM »
Try PB Blaster

Ed showed me a product called Aerokroil. I have used it a couple times now and things that I tried PB Blaster on with multiple applications over several days that didn't budge came free after one shot of Aerokroil. It's expensive, but it beat my PB blaster hands down
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 11:50:03 PM »
I hate the F#$^ing  >:( pitman arm. All GD day trying to remove it. It won't budge. Any suggestions?  ???  ???  ???  >:(

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
I have the puller and it ain't doing squat!!!!

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 01:04:15 AM »
just snapped the puller.  any ideas???? HELP!!!!!!

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 01:34:20 AM »
You need to get this thing done. I would do leave it alone and just leave the current pitman arm on it and get everything else done. I had 3.5" of lift in my TJ and had to remove an extended pitman arm because it caused death wobble. Going back to stock was much better. You may not need it and at least that will allow you to work on everything else and get be able to drive it.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 01:48:40 AM »
You need to get this thing done. I would do leave it alone and just leave the current pitman arm on it and get everything else done. I had 3.5" of lift in my TJ and had to remove an extended pitman arm because it caused death wobble. Going back to stock was much better. You may not need it and at least that will allow you to work on everything else and get be able to drive it.

Very True, But the only way to get it off is to put a puller on it with some tension and then take a heavy hammer (up to 3lb) and beat on the pitman arm where it attaches to the steering box, a few solid raps, and by solid, I mean full swing hits,  and it should pop off.
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!