Author Topic: Rock's YJ Project  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
Rock's YJ Project
« on: March 27, 2013, 02:52:40 AM »
Well, I got the jeep in the garage!

It has a 360, T-18, Dana 20, D44 axles, 36-13.5's, full Cage. It needs a clutch, a rear stretch, tube fenders complete interior, windshield, rock rails, flat belly skid, drive shafts, front regear, rear locker.... Still deciding on the rear suspension..

Way too much to do before summer, but I'm going to try.

So here is what it looks like today!

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:36:40 AM by Mr Rock »
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Rock's YJ Project
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 02:10:01 PM »
Rock, the picture doesn't work. If you want a set of practice front fenders for mock up I have the old ones off my YJ. The inner fenderwells are good, but the outer (that you'll be cutting anyway) are dented and have rust holes. My YJ came with brand new front OEM fenders on it and I threw the old ones in the truck for making my flatfenders. I've already gone a different route.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 09:36:07 AM »
any plans for more gearing out of the d20 or are you going to rock the 2 to 1 low
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 08:35:41 PM »
any plans for more gearing out of the d20 or are you going to rock the 2 to 1 low

Going to roll with the 2-1 for now, I figured with the granny 1st gear, and the torque of the 360 I should be ok.....
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 05:31:38 AM »

Going to roll with the 2-1 for now, I figured with the granny 1st gear, and the torque of the 360 I should be ok.....

if you want i can check into a set of dana 18 gears for it
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Mayhem

• BANNED
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 03:22:52 PM »
Looks tough Rock.  Some big tires.  Should be a beast.
Greg
Model Citizen

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 01:58:08 AM »

if you want i can check into a set of dana 18 gears for it

Wait until I take it apart, there has already been some work done to it so I'll check the gearing once it's out.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 04:01:32 AM »
Looks tough Rock.  Some big tires.  Should be a beast.

It's ROCK sized. LOL
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 05:16:50 PM »
Ok so slight change of plans,

I want to wheel! and there is just too much work to do to be ready any time soon, so I'm putting my original jeep back together. it only needs, new steering column, repair wiring under the dash the got ripped out when the column broke, replace the frong broken leaf springs, remove busted tcase and swap SYe into "new" case, repair skid plate, reattach anti wrap bar, replace gas tank, install batteries and test out! I know right!

Both Jeeps are in the garage! This was two weeks ago.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:25:06 PM by Mr Rock »

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 05:24:24 PM »
Ok, so in two weeks time I have been able to, replace the steering column, repaired all of the wiring (I hope), I drilled out the front leaf springs to give me a 2" stretch and they are installed. I rebuilt the Tcase and reinstalled it.

This is before I took it out my three piece Tcase!

And this is it all put back together in one piece!

Offline 11b102nd

• Paid Members
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 10:34:20 PM »
 :o wow on that t case, I never seen that before.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 05:02:00 AM »
:o wow on that t case, I never seen that before.
It was even more interesting when it happened. ;D

Rebuilt T case looks great!!
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 11:33:25 PM »
Man, I've been working on it like crazy! After I got the tcase in, found the skid plate nuts stripped out in the frame, I made new through the frame mounts! Went crazy looking for the front driveshaft u-joint straps, I couldn't remember where I put them since i took them off back in Oct in the woods!  finally found them! made a gas tank skid from two bad ones and got the tank mounted. welded in a homemade antiwrap bar installed rear drive shaft, primed the fuel lines and got the engine to start and run. so far so good! cleaned up some of the wiring and now the jeep won't start! *&^$#!!!!

Worked until midnight to find the problem and fixed it! It's alive! gotta go over all the bolts to make sure I didn't miss something and hoping to test drive it tonight!

Offline Mayhem

• BANNED
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 12:14:29 AM »
Way to go, Rock!  That's you really got a crapload done.  Nice.
Greg
Model Citizen

Offline JeepNV

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 02:33:18 AM »
That's awesome!!
Hope it runs smoothly and you can wheel it on Sunday!!!
I work to support my Jeep:
2011 JK Rubi, 2.5" Teraflex lift, 35" Duratrac on 16x8 on 7069's, Clayton UCA, RR front & sway skid, Recon syn 10,000# winch, OR FAB rear can mount tire carrier, Poison Spyder diff covers & evap skid, ACE rails, Rancho oil pan skid, mini skids,  PIAA lites, AEV Snorkel...