Author Topic: YJ radiator is leaking  (Read 2120 times)

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
YJ radiator is leaking
« on: December 04, 2012, 02:29:14 AM »
So after 20 years, the radiator is starting to leak where the plastic and metal are crimped together.  It is not bad, but will need to be replaced before spring.  I don't want to get another plastic/ metal combo one, and I don't want to drop $300 either.  I found these and I am thinking about getting the 2 core one.  I have never had any cooling issues even on a hot day and at slow speeds, so a single core would work.  Any thoughts?

http://www.genesisautoparts.com/all_aluminum_radiator-jeep-wrangler-1994.htm
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
Re: YJ radiator is leaking
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 02:55:42 AM »
that's not a bad price for an aluminum radiator, even with shipping!
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 03:11:36 AM »
That's not a bad price at all. I've had good luck with the radiator barn in the past, but it looks like they are a little more expensive.

https://www.radiatorbarn.com/search.php?product=radiator

1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Mayhem

• BANNED
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 03:15:59 AM »
that's not a bad price for an aluminum radiator, even with shipping!

Wow.  That is seriously cheap for a direct replacement. 
Greg
Model Citizen

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 04:07:25 AM »
20yrs of life out of a stock plastic/aluminum radiator is amazing.  That is cheep for an all aluminum radiator.  I can't even get 4yrs out of the radiator on my wifes 05 Honda Pilot. On its 2nd radiator and this one is starting to leak in the same spot. I have seen 100s of these radiators in the Pilots and Odysseys all fail in the same spot. I looked on the Genesis sight and an all aluminum radiator is coming soon for the Qdyssey but not the Pilot.  WTF.  There almost the same radiator!!  Think I might call them to see if there planing on making 1 for the Pilot. If they build it I will by it. Running out of time tho.  Do like the warrentee you got on your radiator for the Libirty. Might go that way but would love to get an all aluminum radiator.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 04:02:07 PM »
20yrs of life out of a stock plastic/aluminum radiator is amazing.  That is cheep for an all aluminum radiator.  I can't even get 4yrs out of the radiator on my wifes 05 Honda Pilot. On its 2nd radiator and this one is starting to leak in the same spot. I have seen 100s of these radiators in the Pilots and Odysseys all fail in the same spot. I looked on the Genesis sight and an all aluminum radiator is coming soon for the Qdyssey but not the Pilot.  WTF.  There almost the same radiator!!  Think I might call them to see if there planing on making 1 for the Pilot. If they build it I will by it. Running out of time tho.  Do like the warrentee you got on your radiator for the Libirty. Might go that way but would love to get an all aluminum radiator.

I noticed that the site I posted has a "limited" lifetime warranty , where radiator barn just lists it as a lifetime e warranty.  If I got 20 years out of the first one (68k miles), a limited lifetime warranty should outlast me.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 09:54:39 PM »
20yrs of life out of a stock plastic/aluminum radiator is amazing.  That is cheep for an all aluminum radiator.  I can't even get 4yrs out of the radiator on my wifes 05 Honda Pilot. On its 2nd radiator and this one is starting to leak in the same spot. I have seen 100s of these radiators in the Pilots and Odysseys all fail in the same spot. I looked on the Genesis sight and an all aluminum radiator is coming soon for the Qdyssey but not the Pilot.  WTF.  There almost the same radiator!!  Think I might call them to see if there planing on making 1 for the Pilot. If they build it I will by it. Running out of time tho.  Do like the warrentee you got on your radiator for the Libirty. Might go that way but would love to get an all aluminum radiator.

I noticed that the site I posted has a "limited" lifetime warranty , where radiator barn just lists it as a lifetime e warranty.  If I got 20 years out of the first one (68k miles), a limited lifetime warranty should outlast me.

lol

I just found this!
http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=COSILLA2015A
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 11:38:40 PM by Mr Rock »
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »
Just ordered the 2 row radiator I posted above.  I found a $10 off code online and with shipping it only came to $142.39. I also ordered new hoses through advance auto parts which has a 20% off deal today. 
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT