Author Topic: jeep going under the plasma cutter:)  (Read 4303 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
jeep going under the plasma cutter:)
« on: April 25, 2012, 09:01:16 PM »
OK so the time has finally come.
The pieces are rolling in and here is flow as how I think its going to go
repair rear section of frame rot with safe-t-cap sections
Relocate upper spring buckets to top of frame arch (Daves Custom Unlimited (DCU)) and frame side rear track bar bracket to inside of frame rail (Ruffstuff)
Install new control arms, track bar, 4" lift progressive springs and bump stops(Savvy/Currie)
Figure out new ride height then remove springs
burn in new lower shock mounts (DCU)
cycle suspension and mark frame for outboarding figuring what travel I want (5up/7down or 6up/6down?)
notch frame and burn in shock towers (DCU)
install shocks (fox 12")

on to the front
install control arms and 4" progressinve springs (savvy/currie) and shocks (fox 10")
install antiroc, front track bar and steering (currie)

YEEOWSER thats alot of work:)  I'm not going to put a time limit on it bc I ALWAYS go over
I cant wait to try it out at Footestone Park:)

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
Re: jeep going under the plasma cutter:)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:49:34 PM »
Good luck, it's always good to have a plan of attack to keep youself on track.
As for the rear shocks what about 4" up and 8" droop or even 3" & 9", it has always been my thought to max droop as much as possible.
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 06:31:01 PM »
Good luck, it's always good to have a plan of attack to keep youself on track.
As for the rear shocks what about 4" up and 8" droop or even 3" & 9", it has always been my thought to max droop as much as possible.

that used to be my thought untill i started eating front drive shafts and pinion yokes  with a locker i will just go back to floating a tire
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 07:48:06 PM »
I just talked to Blaine at Savvy.  He reccomends 6/6 with the suspension and body lift that I have.

BTW - I will soon have a Rough Country X-flex complete suspension upgrade for sale. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:50:26 PM by footman »

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
Update,
All parts delivered except shocks. Rear end is all torn apart.  Will start cutting old brackets off tonight.

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 04:54:46 PM »
Well thats where its been laying for months now.  Brackets cut off, frame cut and ready for cleanup and welding.  Life happened and just lost momentum on progress.  I've lost all summer and now I know I need to finish it up so I can get the wifes car in the garage for winter.  Now if only I could buy some motivation ;D  I miss wheeling/hanging out with you guys.  Maybe in a couple of months ;)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »
Steve, now you have a deadline so momentum should pick up and as you see things progress you'll get that motivation going again. I don't even have a Jeep, but I still hangout with everyone. You're always welcome.

PS - Meeting tomorrow night is at my house so you don't have to go too far
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 08:08:20 PM »
I forgot to mention, I'm the coach of Caden fallball team.  Practice every mon, tues and thursday night, double header games on saturdays until Nov.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 04:02:33 AM »
Familly is always #1 and glad to see your doing that.  Glad to hear you have not lost the 4X4 bug so keep the dreams going & hope to see you on the trails soon. I was voted in to JT at your house and have never wheeled with you but am looking forward to so keep the progress going. Sounds like your close. GET ER DONE!!!!! :D
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 04:21:58 AM »
Can someone please look at your rear frame side TJ spring perches and tell me if the offset is more inboard or outboard.  Also can you please measure the distance between the frame rail and the flat(where spring comes into contact) of the spring perch.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 05:06:10 AM »
Going off memory here, but they are just slightly off centerline inboard of the frame rail.  I'd check mine for the distance, but that isn't going to do you much good.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:11:09 AM by Bill3753 »
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 03:58:50 PM »
ok, so some may say good things come to those that wait but I'm calling it plain lazieness.  After a year on jackstands I finally finished the rear and took it out for a quickie spin (Caden said he forgot how awesome the jeep was ;D)  So I pulled it back into the garage and in a couple hours had the front end torn apart.  Tonight I have to weld a couple brackets, drill a hole and I can start to rebuild.  do I dare put a time limit on it  ::).  I'm thinking I'll be driving it to work some point this week :o

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 04:14:53 PM »
It's not laziness, it's patience as the Jeep goes on the backburner so you can take care of all of the higher priority things that need to get done. I'm practicing my patience right now as I want to work on the Jeep, but there are so many other things that need to be done around the house.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 06:21:44 PM »
I also know what its like, I didn't touch my jeep all winter, then I couldn't take it any more and in  less the six weeks I had it all back together.

IT'S FUN TO WHEEL AGAIN!
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 06:24:08 PM »
I cant wait to take it out on the Footepath ;D