Author Topic: neither jeep nor truck  (Read 8488 times)

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
neither jeep nor truck
« on: December 27, 2007, 02:46:59 AM »
unfortunately I am guilty of very badly mistreating my VW diesel "sandy" (named after my sister cause she's a pain in my rear) and so she spat a rod through the side of the block.

good news is that I've found a donor car that seems to have a good engine but got all smashed up, and purchased it,and I own the big fat factory service manual for the car. bad news is I still need to get it up here from west of new haven and then do an engine/tranny transplant.

I thought I'd ask if anyone would be interested in helping me get the little *&^% fixed up so I can save my gas money for stuff like shocks and a front bumper and the like. will most likely have to do everything in my driveway in the cold so I can't promise it will be fun.

-Brice

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
Re: neither jeep nor truck
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 04:19:49 AM »
find a might be easier toget AAA and become a platnum member for the unlimited towing.

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 04:24:25 AM »
even AAA platnum won't tow a parts car to my driveway
and I don't do business with AAA if you want to know why ask me when I'm about half drunk sometimes

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 09:07:14 PM »
I've got all you need to do the engien swap, including the cherry picker and engine stand.  if you can get both vehicles to/from my  place, we can do it in a warm garage, else i can bring my equip to your place.  should be a half day job, if you get all the stuff preped (disconnecting all lines, wires, etc from both, removing accessories that will get in the way).  Just let me know what works.  I don't go to work till friday.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 02:56:01 AM »
awsome, I'll definitly need to borrow that cherry picker at the least, and more hands are always welcome

I'm thinking it'll prolly be best to keep at least the parts car at my place where I can take my time stripping parts off it and choping it into recycler freindly size bites

kinda good/bad news in that my uncle called to day and let me know he'll be out here on the 8'th to help with it. So I'd be a jerk to get it done before he got here. in the meantime I'm gonna clean up my garage enough that I can get one car at a time to work on them out of the weather.

I'll get in touch towards the end of next week, when I have a better idea how the week of the 6'th will be treating me.

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 06:19:59 AM »
word,

get yer crap together so we can figure this stuff out. ;D

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 06:12:40 PM »
breaking my jetta was not on my "liberty plan" for standdown

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 10:05:53 PM »
LABEL WHAT YOU DISCONNECT!!!! And Bag your bolts, with labels!

A to A, B to B, etc.

Been there done that
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 10:30:25 PM by Doball »

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 12:50:58 AM »
*nods*
I learned that the first time I tore the dash apart

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 04:45:45 PM »
yeah, that suck when all the bolts look the same.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 07:07:12 PM »
masking tape, magic marker, and ziplock bags work great. not only do you know what bolt when where, you dont' end up losing one :)
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 09:08:08 PM »
echo all.

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 01:58:38 AM »
looks like my uncle will be here on the 8'th so I'd like to give him a day to recover from the trip then take the day off on the 10'th and do the swap out, of course I have to wait for my LPO to get back from leave the 6'th to ask for the day off.

So long as I can borrow that cherry picker the two of us should have it well in hand, but company will be welcome either to assist or celebrate later in the day, and of course through that weekend I will be stripping parts off the donor and boxing them against future troubles, I intend to make the most use I can of the donor car before I call the junk man to come get the shell.

thats the plan for now I'll keep you'll up to date as it changes.

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 02:04:12 AM »
I have his cherry poper, i mean picker at my place.  As long as it is cool with rocket, I'll help you get it to your place.

I'll help you pull yours if you help pull mine...  :)

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 02:07:21 AM »
 :o umm you mean engine right?

I should be free in the evenings this week and saturday shoot me a pm about when you want to pull it.