Author Topic: '87 YJ Build  (Read 11042 times)

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
'87 YJ Build
« on: February 23, 2012, 01:21:52 AM »
Ok,

Just bought 6" lift, SYE, and C.V. Drive shaft.  It has begun.  Mohrbicon V.2  Can't wait for some decent weather to get here and stay here so I can start wrenching.
JT4x4 Founding Member

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
Re: '87 YJ Build
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 06:32:38 AM »
Ok,

Just bought 6" lift, SYE, and C.V. Drive shaft.  It has begun.  Mohrbicon V.2  Can't wait for some decent weather to get here and stay here so I can start wrenching.

y a 6" lift and not go soa it will ride nicer and be the same lift
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 04:13:40 PM »
Well I was looking into that a little bit.  All the ones that I saw had welding and cutting involved.  Cutting doesn't scare me but I do not have a welder.  I will be away here and there often in the near future so it has to be simething that I can do here and there without leaving my Jeep at someones house (someone that does have a welder).  That was one of the biggest reasons.
JT4x4 Founding Member

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 02:57:25 AM »
this is why i recomend soa same spot it tne trail

soa

sua

yes there is cutting and welding involved but not a lot all you need is new perches front and rear and most likely a anti wrap bar in the rear but all the welding can be done in a week end the hardest part to work out is the steering and deciding on what to do most people i know with a d30 up front run this bracket
http://www.jb4x4.com/store/jbrsb.htm

anti wrap bar kit just add tube
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/AWKIT.html

new perches can be found there as well
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 04:22:36 PM »
So I finally had some free time to start messing around with the Jeep.  Attempted to remove the rear leaf springs.  Attempted being the key word here.  I vastly underestimated the amount of rust and how strong it can be when left unchecked for 25 years!!! 

Broke one bolt on the leaf spring, cannot get the shock bolts or the U-bolts loose.  That is just the passenger side rear!  Also tried to re-install the rear seat.  The guy I bought it from took it out about 7 years ago and put the bolts back in so he wouldn't loose them.  Broke 2 out of the 4 on those too.   ??? ??? ???  I sprayed everything on that jeep with WD-40 and PB Blaster 3 times before even attempting any removal.

My question is this...  Is there a trick to removing rusted bolts that I am not privy to.  I really don't want to have to drill half of the bolts out.  I am going to be buying all new hardware because some of the ones that I was able to remove looked pretty beat up.  I really hope that the differential bolts come out easier!!!  God help me.

On a side note, it felt great to turn some wrenches on a Jeep again.

One-Eye
JT4x4 Founding Member

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 03:14:59 AM »
Do you have a good impact gun? I have found that because they put the force straight on the bolts that many times you won't break them off. I have also just had to cut the bolts off and start from scratch. A 4.5" cutting wheel will make quick work of getting leaf springs out of the hangers.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 03:07:45 AM »
I am pretty sure that there is a higher being in Jeep heaven laughing at me right now.  So I got the passenger side U-bolts and shock off.  Also got the leaf spring off with a hammer and elbow grease.  Funny story about that, I don't have a Hi-Lift yet (arrives Wednesday....when I am on duty), so when I got the leaf spring out and the body shifted on me I realized that my floor jack just wasn't high enough.  My jack stands, upon further analysis, give me just enough height to not be able to rotate the tires because they are still touching the groung.  AAAHHH!!!  That was yesterday.

Today...  Driver side shock off.  Good start right?  Followed by not able to get the rear track bar off, some how braking the brake line (funny I know "breaking the brake line").  Just when my day was about to get a little bit better I had a thought...  "Didn't Jeep make a YJ with a wierd Transfer Case?"  As I was sipping my Crown Royal getting in a better mood I realized that YES, I did in fact have the NP207 T-Case as apposed to the World known NP231.  What that means is that the SYE that I have sitting in the garage and CV Drive shaft are getting sent back to Morris 4x4 tomorrow.  Unless I go the route of what they call the "Hack and Tap."  Did a little homework on that and don't like the idea.  So, I either buy a new NP231 for a measly $1300ish or try to find one in a junk yard that will let me take just the T-Case.  What a day.

Here are some Pics of what I am dealing with

Old Shock

Shock Mounting Bracket

Old Leaf Spring

Rusty A$$ U-Bolt

Rear Diff ID Tag.....Can you guess what my rear diff is?

JT4x4 Founding Member

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 03:12:18 AM »
All that being said.  Man does it feel good to be under a dirty Jeep again.
JT4x4 Founding Member

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 09:23:37 PM »
All that being said.  Man does it feel good to be under a dirty Jeep again.

Ahh, the joy's of owning a Jeep, lol
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 04:56:33 AM »
Holly rusty metal batman :o  You should really invest in a set of torches. It will help alot in removing rusty bolts.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:06:52 AM by skibum »
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »
Hahaha funny you would say that.  Almost killed 1bottle of propane already.  Next task is getting the track bar off.  I twisted my torque spits yesterday attempting it.  Hahahaha
JT4x4 Founding Member

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 06:25:34 PM »
Propane ::).     Save that for cookin the dogs. You need Oxygen & Acetylene to heat up that heavy metal.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 10:49:58 PM »
Hahahahaha I wish I had something like that.  Make things a lot easier!
JT4x4 Founding Member

Offline JohnC

• Trail Queen
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 04:41:22 AM »
If you cant hunt down an Oxy/gas setup, use a die grinder. It will cut them off even faster. With stuff like that, 20+ years old, I dont even try to turn wrenches. Torches and die grinder come out and you will save a lot of time and busted knuckles. Make sure everything that is going to come unloaded fast is supported, and tear in.

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 01:47:18 AM »
I have actually been lucky so far.  The Propane did work.  I am trying to keep as much as I can in one piece.  One of my OCD's I guess.  Hi-Lift and new body mounts came in today.  I should be getting my 44's here in the next day or two.  That will be a project in it self.  Going to clean them up good before puting them on.  Just gotta get the rear perches moved underneath.
JT4x4 Founding Member