Author Topic: V8 Engine Swap  (Read 968 times)

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
V8 Engine Swap
« on: September 05, 2011, 08:37:39 PM »
Does anybody know how to pull a V8 off of an automatic transmission in a grand cherokee? It is telling me to remove the bolts from the drive plate to the torque converter by removing the starter and rotating the crank clockwise to do so. However, it had me remove the crank pulley and harmonic balancer already...  ??? Thoughts on ways to rotate the crank to remove the drive plate bolts? Or if anybody has time to come lend a hand on this, it would be greatly appreciated as this is the last step before I can drop the new engine in.
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: V8 Engine Swap
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 02:27:27 AM »
Just put the bolt that holds the balancer on, back on and then turn it over
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 03:28:51 AM »
That's what I wound up doing. Lol. Thanks! I figured somewhere in here, common sense had to apply. Imagine that... :o
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 05:03:28 AM »
In the future, when working alone I just use a big screwdriver to engage the teeth in the flywhell through the starter opening to move is slow so I can keep an eye on the flex plate and not miss a bolt.
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 05:23:05 AM »
it is a bitch and its one really heavy tranny lol. good luck. it is all doable tho
LOW RIDERS ARE FOR GUYS WHO CANT GET IT UP! oh ya