Author Topic: Sand blaster?  (Read 1001 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Sand blaster?
« on: August 25, 2011, 05:03:02 AM »
Does anyone have a sand blaster?  Have you ever used baking soda in it?  I'd like to blast my rims back to the polished aluminum and clear it.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Sand blaster?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 05:15:02 AM »
If you blast them, they will not have a polished look without some extra work.  It will give you a good place to start so you can repolish them, but simply blasting them will leave a dull raw aluminum look.

Another option you might want to consider is a good paint stripper.  It'll probably take multiple applications to get it all off and it'll definatly be more work to get it off, but it will not hurt whatever polished material you have below the paint and old clear.

What size wheel are you looking for?  It might be easier to just sell what you have and pick up a different set on craigslist.
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 02:29:04 PM »
I was looking at buying rims but I think I spent enough on the fenders and tires right now.  I had considered the paint stripper but with the stock wheels and all those little fake rivits, too much work.  Then I thought about the baking soda.  Do you think that might not be abrasive enough to dull the polished aluminm? 

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 07:45:37 PM »
i did not read any above post but i infact do have a sand blaster lol