Author Topic: 1982 CJ7  (Read 26280 times)

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
Re: 1982 CJ7
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2011, 02:53:06 AM »
The white power is just corrosion.  On a different note, You should have left the bell housing on the trans and unbolted the bell housing from the engine to remove it all as an assembly.  Technically, when swapping bell housings, or reinstalling your old one, you need to index it to centerline of the input shaft using a dial indicator.

I understand there are probably alignment dowls and such, but those only get you so close.  It depends on how OCD you are if you actually decide to do the process.  I know some will tell you not to worry about it.  Its a procedure mostly done in high HP cars, but depending on your plans for this CJ it may be something you would want to look into.

the SR4 trans is a car/ light duty truck trans. the iron duke engine has 83hp. gonna use these until i find a good deal or they explode and i'll replace both at the same time. but thanks for the extra info
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2011, 03:45:56 AM »
school starts up again tomorrow and i need to save up some money for the project so it's on hold for the next 10 weeks while im in school.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2011, 06:41:10 AM »
school starts up again tomorrow and i need to save up some money for the project so it's on hold for the next 10 weeks while im in school.

get a couple of jobs work about a 100 hrs a week adn you can afford to go to school and work on the heep
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »
i can afford to do both just not the time lol. also i work 60 as it is.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2011, 07:17:39 AM »
i can afford to do both just not the time lol. also i work 60 as it is.

you can sleep when you are dead
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2011, 08:20:50 PM »
im starting to have second thoughts so i figured i'd run it past you guys.

the 2.5L only has 85hp and a max speed of near 73mph in the CJ7. im obviously going to regear to 4.88 gears when i put on the 35's but will i even be able to drive this thing on the freeway? (speed limit is 70 here) i paid 1k for this. haven't put hardly anything into it but even after i get it all set up the way i want i don't want a trailer queen. nor do i really wanna swap the engine and trans right off the bat. im just wondering if i should resale this and try to find one with the 4.2L or possibly a different jeep.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2011, 04:49:44 AM »
Wow that's a hard one, I get emotional with rigs once I get one I want to keep it.  but I do try to be realistic. I can only tell you what I'm doing the decision is yours. I have the 4.2 ant its no power house. With 35's and 4.10's I dont have enought horsepower to hold 60 let alone 70 on any type.of up hill, down hill is no problem, but going anything over 75 is scary!

I bought a 90 2.5l that I am planing a V8 transplant because I want more POWER! There are plenty of low HP Suki's out there, but driving down the highway? I can only handle an hour or so on the highway.

I plan on dropping back down to 33's and keeping the current one.

Just my two cents, Not sure it helps!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:57:09 AM by Mr Rock »
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2011, 05:50:39 AM »
you drive a jeep it is not going to be a speed demon

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2011, 05:53:19 PM »
you drive a jeep it is not going to be a speed demon

yea but the 05 LJ i had had a 4.0L with a banks cod air intake, 35's, and 3.73 gears and could do 80 in it. if i could do 60 and not completely destroy the motor i'd be fine with it.  mr. rock, i do get very emotionally attached to my projects and i don't want to sell it. i just don't know if it's worth it to keep this when i could get the same thing with the 4.2L or the 340 engine for abit more.i actally think im going to start looking for the v8 that came in these with a t-176 trans that will bolt up to my dana300. i think as of right now im going to get it to where i can get it running down the street and start saving money  for the engine and trans. and figure im going to upgrade the axles. just getting worried that im going to go all out with this and then realize tat i can't drive it on the freeway
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2011, 08:37:51 PM »
this weekends progress like i said im not spending any money on it but i figured this was a good idea for the time being.

front

rear

also went and got this from my late gradfathers garage. figured it would help me out abit this winter  ;D
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2011, 09:26:35 PM »
got the drums off of the front axle. tried to get them off of the rear axle but they had 3 philips screws in each, got one out of each side but when i tried on the others i destroyed the hole, they just crumbled without any effort so how do i get them off now?

driver side

passenger side

the videos are of the draining of the transmission fluid and transfer case. wanted you guys to see the color of the fluid
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e218/reptile610/1982%20CJ7/?action=view&current=VID_20111002_145634.mp4

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e218/reptile610/1982%20CJ7/?action=view&current=VID_20111002_150137.mp4
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2011, 02:17:03 AM »
good luck finding parts for your axles i don't know what year they are but you should have front disc fyi and 5 bolt hubs not 6 bolt

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
good luck finding parts for your axles i don't know what year they are but you should have front disc fyi and 5 bolt hubs not 6 bolt

i found a guy with an axle from a cj thats a narrow track also with the disc brakes for $100 but it has no gears in it. was going to take off the outer parts of it and put them on mine to make it discs. and yeah im told that this isnt supposed to be under there  :'(
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2011, 04:25:05 AM »

81 was a mixed year also. some came with 6 bolt others with 5. the 6's are from warn but im reading that they're pretty much junk. still researching.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2011, 04:25:48 AM »
also with these being front drums im assuming this axle is from the 70s
1982 CJ7-stock