Author Topic: 1982 CJ7  (Read 26240 times)

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
1982 CJ7
« on: August 09, 2011, 12:56:46 AM »
so when i got back home i started going to college which is a 20 minute drive 1 way. so unfortunatly i had to sell the 05 LJ due to it only getting 10mpg freeway. traded it in for a 2011 dodge caliber which surprisingly is a very nice car. well.... i couldn't fight the itch any longer so after 2 months of being jeepless i went out and found a 1982 CJ7.

first picture of the toy on her way home

1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
Re: 1982 CJ7
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 01:03:03 AM »
specs as of now:
4 cly 2.5L "iron duke"
sr-4 manual trans
dana 300 transfer case
dana 30 front locked
amc 20 rear locked
3.73 gears
i don't know what type of lockers are in it but im told it's locked. if i take off the diff covers will it have a serial number or name on it?
 questions? comments? smart a$$ remarks?  ;D
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 02:42:49 PM »
I see you had it carried to the house so does it run or did it come from too far of a distance and you didn't want to take a chance? If you take the diff covers off you still may not be able to tell what brand of locker it is, but you'll be able to tell if it is a lunchbox type locker, welded, spooled or Detroit. Because CJs have lockouts I've seen a lot of guys weld the spiders rather than actually using a locker for cost savings in the front.

Are you going to take it up to the Mounds or Bundy for its first off road excursion? I figured those are the two closest places to you.

Roger
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 11:02:07 PM »
take a pic of the diffs and ill tell u what kind they are.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 07:56:22 AM »
take a pic of the diffs and ill tell u what kind they are.
[/quote

X2 on that. Just make shure you also get a close up shot of the Ring gear & carrier. If you rotate the carrier slowly & find numbers then get shots of those also. It Will help alot.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 03:05:03 AM »
im not sure where im taking it yet. still a long ways away from that. i had it towed because you have to pump the clutch and the brakes for them to work so i deemed it unsafe to drive home. when i open up the diffs i'll take pics for you guys. first thing is to start saving up money for parts. in the meantime im going to start sanding on the body to remove all rust. going to paint the tub black and im thinking lime green for the bumpers, sliders, and rollbar. ( i like to stick out  ;D) plan on keeping the 2.5 until it blows up but as of right now it runs great, just have to get used to the manual choke is all. im currently in college and will graduate 2013 so maybe around the time i'll come out to connecticut and wheel with you guys.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 06:36:10 PM »
i had it towed because you have to pump the clutch and the brakes for them to work

really the lack of tail lights did not stop

or the lack of seat belts

you realize it has the wrong roll bar in 82 all jeeps  had 3 point seatbelts that is all i see right now

the 151 will out last the sr4 and the amc 20 so start looking for parts to do a drive train swap

just bring it down to me leave the keys and a blank check and i will get you rolling right

smart a$$ remarks?  ;D
i will get to these later
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:42:42 PM by gearhead1985B »
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 04:02:24 AM »
im told that 151 is bullet proof. the roll bar was given to me but i plan on using that, putting in suspension seats and 4 point harnesses. first thing is sanding down the body and rust repair. then doing a complete tune up and changing all fluids. then im gonna learn how to drive stick  ;D and slowly do my addons (armor first)
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 04:45:09 AM »
then im gonna learn how to drive stick  ;D and slowly do my addons (armor first)

So maybe it wasnt the whole clutch and brakes being finicky.. it's the learning how to drive with a clutch that put it on a flatbed? lol
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 02:13:03 PM »
then im gonna learn how to drive stick  ;D and slowly do my addons (armor first)

So maybe it wasnt the whole clutch and brakes being finicky.. it's the learning how to drive with a clutch that put it on a flatbed? lol

;D hahaha  Yep, I think not knowing how to drive a stick had a lot to do with it being flatbedded to the house. Reptile, you have some work ahead of you, but you'll learn a lot along the way and you'll have a rig to go play on the trails with by the time you are done.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 03:05:20 AM »
i never tried on it. the guy who i bought it from said you had to pump them for them to work so therefore i didn't even try.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 03:07:23 AM »
also i lied about doing the body work as it will start getting cold and i don't want the paint to get messed up. so going to do all the mechanic work as of now.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 03:43:11 AM »
should i do a SOA conversion or just lift it? im reading alot of mixed reviews on it because it makes it kinda unsafe and ride like crap afterwards
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 04:26:45 AM »
You need to know what you are doing to do a SOA conversion. It can be done to work well, but you have to be precise. For what you are doing I would stick with just a lift kit. My 86 CJ7 had a 4" spring lift with a 1" body lift and I ran 35s with no problem. Good shackles that allow for movement also helps with the articulation, but I'm not a fan of the boomerang shackles. I ran then for one run to the Badlands and the back end unloaded on me down a steep hill.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 08:49:57 AM »
should i do a SOA conversion or just lift it? im reading alot of mixed reviews on it because it makes it kinda unsafe and ride like crap afterwards

wtf did i build and i drove it from florida to illinios it is not unsafe just ditch the cj springs for some stock yj springs or even some waggy springs bring it to me and i will hook you up it will take about a month to build and year for testing
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/