Author Topic: Dtroit Locker  (Read 2280 times)

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
Dtroit Locker
« on: May 17, 2011, 11:59:30 PM »
What is involved in putting in a Detroit locker as far as the Ring is concerned?

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
Re: Dtroit Locker
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:14:54 AM »
Reshimming the new carrier for propper gear backlash & bearing preload. Not too bad but time consumming. I would recomend a lunch box locker so then you don"t have to mess with this & much easer to install. If your going to regear then upgrading to a detroit locker or other heavy duty locker is a great idea but a lunch box locker is much cheeper & extreamly affective. If you have a D35 in the rear then don't even waste your money. It won't last very long & you will be stuck on the trail with your wheel & axel sliding out of the axel tube.  Not fun.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 01:23:48 AM »
Depends on the type of differental.  A 14 bolt detroit locker doesn't require a carrier change  ;D.

Assuming your taking the full case detroit locker (the lunch box locker detroit makes is junk), it requires the ring gear to be removed from the old carrier, the pinion gear to be removed from the differental housing, and the gears to be set up preferably with new bearings.  If you choose to do this yourself, make sure you check the contact pattern and backlash of the gears PRIOR to removal.  This will let you know the gears have worn in together, or broken in, and let you set them up the same way.  In turn, this will keep used gears from being noisy when reinstalled.  This is also why I'd never buy used gears unless the provious owner can provide these specs for you.

Seriously though, unless you plan to go larger then 35's just put a Aussie lunch box locker in it.  Neither a full case detroit or luck box style locker is selectable.  The Deroit is stronger, but I don't think its an issue if your at 35's to run one.  Heck, Nate is currently running one in his HP30 front and 8.8 rear on 36's.  I know Aussie does not have a specific tire size max like other lunch box locker brands, but I wouldn't go over 35's on one for long term reliability.  Another brand is the Spartan Locker.  I had good luck with the one that I put in my Dana 44 Rear although it was a little noisy (by design, not a problem with it).  The best thing about these lockers is they can be installed VERY easily in about an hour depending on your experience inside differentals.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:25:21 AM by Bill3753 »
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 03:53:53 AM »
i have to agree dropping that much money in a d35 is kinda silly, i think i could justify a aussie. buy why not find a bolt in d44.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:29:59 PM »
COUGH COUGH, make me an offer!

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 07:30:48 PM »
Speaking of did u get ur axles in steve.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 11:52:44 PM »
Well before this goes any further I should let you know that I had already purchased the locker and a set of chromoly axles as a package deal prior to making the post about the ring.  I will welcome any "I Told You So's" if my wheels do in fact fall off on the trail.  I am also looking at purchasing Ed's chromoly's so I have an extra set.  I am hoping to have it installed by Florida Vacation.  I also purchased a set of four lower control arms to replace the factory ones I have beaten the hell out of.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 12:39:37 AM »
Are you also going to change the gear ratio at the same time?  What ratio are you running?
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 01:00:35 AM »
Well before this goes any further I should let you know that I had already purchased the locker and a set of chromoly axles as a package deal prior to making the post about the ring.  I will welcome any "I Told You So's" if my wheels do in fact fall off on the trail.  I am also looking at purchasing Ed's chromoly's so I have an extra set.  I am hoping to have it installed by Florida Vacation.  I also purchased a set of four lower control arms to replace the factory ones I have beaten the hell out of.

chuck, how many times do we have to tell you, you can't polish a turd? lol, good luck man!
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 07:22:52 AM »

ok now we no the reason for the inital question

here is my questions for you

1. what gear ratio are you running in your jeep?
 2. what side of the carrier break is the locker on is it 3.31 and down or is it 3.55 and up?

i don't  know if detriot makes one for the lower gear set but if the parts are on different sides of the carrier break you are SOL

"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 04:37:28 AM »
Every year 4 wheel mag does a pretty hard core run and 2 years ago BDS ran 37's on a polished D35 with no problems.  Everyone will tell you you could have/ should have done something differnt.  Ed ran the D35 (stock ) and was never shy with the skinny pedal.  With 33's and smart driving, the D35 with Chromo shafts will hold up.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 04:55:50 AM »
sure u could polish a turd but for less money you could do an 8.8 swap
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 05:59:33 AM »
sure u could polish a turd but for less money you could do an 8.8 swap

As you know, that all depends if you have the skills and the tools.  A previosly built 8.8 axle ready to bolt in generally goes for over $1000.  To build one yourself is about $500. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 11:27:59 PM »
Thank you Kirk.  I am hoping to have the shafts and the locker in for Florida Vacation.  Still waiting for the shafts to arrive along with the lower control arms.