Author Topic: Xj leaf pack  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Xj leaf pack
« on: May 05, 2011, 03:42:07 AM »
Anyone have a set of xj leaf springs sitting around i could get for cheap. im looking into stretching the xj and need some of the individual leafs to mix with some other stuff to net a stretch of 3-4 inchs while maintaining current lift height.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Xj leaf pack
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 05:01:54 PM »
Ok so i think i have a planned layed out for stretching the XJ. First a little back ground, the plan is to keep with leaf springs ill explain in a bit how im going to accomplish this. Second a little bit of cage work will be involved however will be very minor. Also i have no intention of relocating the gas tank i believe buy keeping the strectch between 3 to 4" i think ill be ok even if i throw one ton axles in this thing.

So heres the plan, im going to get a leaf pack out of a s-10 or blazer (this leaf pack will be combined with a xj leaf pack to remains at 4.5" lift pack so that my ride height remains unchanged), this leaf springs are about 3 in longer from the forward mount to the center pin and 3.5" longer overall will give a 3" of stretch and due to the longer leaf spring it will kick my shackle back which will allow for more down travel. Now depending how i feel after setting it back 3" i can gain an extra inch buy using the forward hole on my leaf spring perches for the center pin to sit in, this decision will be based on if think gas tank clearance is becoming an issue if i still have enough room ill go to 4". I have provided some pictures to avoid confusion. id love to here anyone's input. As far as cage work i plan on just adding a bar from the top of my wheel well to my tail gate section, then everything below will get cut off and the gas tank fill hole will get moved up a few inches so its still usable.

buy using a longer leaf spring it will kick my shackle back making me closer to an idea 45 degree shackle angle, and allow for more down travel.

Shows how a gain an inch by shifting which hole i use
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 11:53:56 PM »
Here's some info on other leaf springs that are out there, and where i got my data from.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1004504&highlight=favorite+leaf+spring
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 12:48:02 AM »
Nice, why stretch a 103" wheel base tho? Do you really feel its gonna be beneficial?
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 02:56:39 AM »
biggest reason to stretch is to get my rear tires out of my rear doors also when it comes time for 40's i should be able to do it with a little clearancing in the front. Also this will give more down travel in the rear which i am drastically lacking on. And its gonna be pretty easy to, I should be able to complete in a week and shouldn't cost me over $100.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 04:51:03 AM »
Yeah that makes sense, the cage is pretty close in your rear wheel wells even with your 36s, it will be unique too.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 12:17:48 AM »
sounds like a solid plan but I wonder, will your shackles hit on the body when stuffing a tire. it seems that with the way the upper mount is recessed you may hit the rear of the mounting area unless you move the upper mount down a bit???
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 02:58:42 AM »
thanks rock i have taken this into consideration i plan on cutting the rear cross member to make space then coming back and do some bracing to replace the lost strength.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 08:42:03 PM »
for your shackle angle you will endup with something similer to whats on my yj cause the springs i used (waggy fronts and taco rears) are 3" longer than stock yj

front

rear

"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 04:32:58 AM »
Nice, why stretch a 103" wheel base tho? Do you really feel its gonna be beneficial?

The reason to stretch is not dependent on the original wheel base of the vehicle.  Any time you add lift and larger tires, you also change the vehicle's original height to length ratio.  Once you start looking at larger tires around 37" or larger, your changing that ratio enough that you will start to hurt its ability to climb as it becomes more and more top heavy.  By stretching the wheelbase, you can correct the ratio back closer to stock and vastly increase the climbing ability and over all stability off-road while still obtaining that increased ground clearance of the larger tires.  Also, you greatly increase the departure angle.

I've even read that a stretch will really help a TJ on 35's, but its not really needed for anything under 37's, maybe 36's.

This idea is perfect for what Nate is looking to do.  I would seriously think about just moving the fuel tank though Nate.  It wouldn't be too hard to move it up into your cargo area under the X in your cage and then build a box out of something around 14-16 GA sheet.  If you did this, all you would need to do is move the fuel line so you'd still be able to do it cheap.This would allow you to get more stretch out of it which would probably be better if your going to 40's.

Other option would be to move where you keep your spare tire by building something like this:

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=RTC3300

You could build it easy and use it to mount your spare tire up on the back of your cage just over your rear X.

Then, you'd have a whole new open area right in front of your tailgate.  Using that space, you get a aftermarket fuel cell like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RCI-2161A/

Then use an adapter for your fuel sender like this:

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=APR1000

That fuel cell holds 15 gallons of fuel and is the perfect depth for your stock fuel sender.  The adapter from Genright (others make them too) allows you to cut a hole in the fuel cell and make the stock fuel sender a near bolt in application.  There area a ton of write ups out there on how to use one behind a TJ/YJ rear seat using stock stuff.  I can't imagine a XJ would be much different.  I've seen them used a lot for sale too.  I might even know where one is new for $125.00.  If you went this route, you wouldn't loose any cargo space either because it would go where your spare is already sitting taking up all that room.  I think it would look better, not that looks matter, with your tire mounted on the cage X anyways.

So anyways, now for the rear shackles.  IF change your mind on the fuel tank deal, then this shouldn't be an issue.  Your shackles would be set and ready to go.  Just flip the springs around, build a traction bar, and your set.  I didn't read anything on it, but I'd guess flipping them around would be between 5-7" of stretch?  Them using your perches you could make it 1" farther back.

If not moving the tank, the quick, easy and effective way to fix the shackle issue is to move the mounting location to your rear bumper like the YJ guys do when they are stretching.  I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to do this and it would really make it easy while allowing you to run your shackles however you want.  Maybe build something like this for the back of it?

http://www.bluetorchfab.com/Product/846/BTF-Jeep-YJ-TJ-Wrangler-Rear-Axle-Relocation-Kit.aspx

I know most of these links are for a TJ or YJ, but the same ideas can be used for your XJ.  I do think you'd be better to re-use your current springs flipped around and put your money into moving that fuel tank and spare tire.  I honestly think you'd be happier with the results when your done.  I know you wouldn't get much increase in down travel this way, but that can easily be fixed with a set of XJ Revolver Shackles later on.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 04:39:53 AM by Bill3753 »
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 01:20:44 PM »
Bill I agree that if I moved the gas tank all those extra mods would be good to get things organized in the back. However from talking with guys on pirate I should be able to go to 3-4" and not have to move the gas tank and due to using s-10 spring I dont need a traction bar, however may still do one. I feel even if I was getting slight contact with the gas tank skid I could do some bumpstops or trimming to make everything work out. I guess my consensus is if I don't absolutely have to move the gas tank I'm not going to do. Just dye to the would increase the price of this mod 3-4 times.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 07:19:14 AM »
hey i have 3 of the 5 leafs from a 4.5 inch leaf pack off my buddys jeep... ill bring them by i do NOT need them lol i have coils lol

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 01:34:36 AM »
Mike that would be awesome. Ps are the coil spacers still in ur jeep?
2005 F-150

-Nate