Author Topic: Tire Balancing  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
Tire Balancing
« on: April 19, 2011, 06:27:20 AM »
Ok, so here is a really good link...

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm

This chart will give you how many ounces of weight to throw into that new tire combo your installing soon.  I plan to use airsoft BB's (Nate's method to prevent rusting) in my 38's.

Anyways, your typical airsoft BB container is 5000 pellets at 0.2 grams a piece.  Thats 1000 grams or 35.27 ounces.

Don't like the idea of using airsoft BB's you say?

Try these on for size...

http://www.centramatic.com/Home.aspx

How it works...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skY6qvzpNXI&feature=player_embedded

These will run you about $200.00 a set though.  Either way is better then knocking wheel weights off your rig all summer.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:32:29 AM by Bill3753 »
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Tire Balancing
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 07:00:07 AM »
Oh, and to add to all of this...

This is important because an out of balance tire will ruin tie rods, shocks, wheel bearings, tire wear, suspension joints... you name it really.  So the clump of mud stuck in your wheel all last summer, the wheel weight you lost and may never notice, the chunk of tread a rock claimed as its own, or even the plug you put in for flat repair; it all affects your tire's balancing.  I've probably seen a hundred threads of people with "death wobble" pulling their hair out trying to find out whats causing the problem.  This method of balancing is good for people doing what we are doing because the balancing weight adjust as and when needed to keep your tire spinning true all season long.  Why not try to help prevent the problem before it happens?   
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 07:00:20 AM »
i heard s good rule of thumb was like 4oz plus 2oz for every 100lbs of tire and rim or something like that
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 02:26:05 PM »
having extra isnt a bad thing. i have 10oz in each tire.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 03:05:55 AM »
Those Centrumatic rings are really cool.  Never have to worrie about Mud, Snow or Ice throwing out your balance.  It might even counter act with Death Wobble & stop it if started after hitting a certin bump in the road that like to get them started sometimes.  Just don"t brake one off road.  It would be pretty funny when someone says that your tire has an oil leak ???

X2 on tire balancing.  On the way up to Dead Fall last year was a nice smooth ride.  After a day aired down I got alot of mud & dirt mashed in between all 4 Rims & Tires. You could not see it but it through my tires slightly out of balance at highway speeds on the 2+hr ride Home.  A few days later noticed tires loosing air. Found leak at beads. Broke down tires & had to clean all the mud & dirt almost imbeded into the rubber of the tire bead.  Goes to show you how quickly & easly your tires can be thrown out of balance.  It may not be the cause of Death Wobble but is shure helps get it going quickly if something is loose or out of wack.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 01:09:40 AM »
What happens when you pop a bead?  Sounds like a lot of stuff to pick up. 

I run 15x8 rims with 12.50 wide rim which protects the rims and the weights. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 11:49:38 AM »
Not to sound like a smart a$$ but gravity will keep the beads in and if u loose a few not a big deal.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline lancer8xt

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 04:08:26 PM »
So you guys just throw some airsoft BB's in your tire and it balances it right out?  Do you just bring a handful of them up to the guy at the tire shop instead of having him balance it for you with wheel weights?   

I need to unmount my stock tire and remount my fullsize spare, and it sure would be nice to just get it on the rim and not have to worry about paying extra to get it balanced.  I think my friend has a bead breaker so i can even unmount it myself.  Anyone know of a place that will mount a tire for cheap, and anyone need a 30" Wranger GS-A?

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 11:37:13 PM »
So you guys just throw some airsoft BB's in your tire and it balances it right out?  Do you just bring a handful of them up to the guy at the tire shop instead of having him balance it for you with wheel weights?   

I need to unmount my stock tire and remount my fullsize spare, and it sure would be nice to just get it on the rim and not have to worry about paying extra to get it balanced.  I think my friend has a bead breaker so i can even unmount it myself.  Anyone know of a place that will mount a tire for cheap, and anyone need a 30" Wranger GS-A?

If you are going to the meeting, bring the spare and I will get it changed out for you and balanced.
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!