Author Topic: No.More.Death.Wobble.  (Read 995 times)

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
No.More.Death.Wobble.
« on: January 21, 2011, 11:19:52 PM »
Well after much deliberation and talking with teraflex, goferit, procomp, rubicon express, off road only, and clayton, i have finally made up my mind.  right now, parts are one the way from offroadonly.com. Their' U-Turn Steering kit and a rubicon express track bar kit are the way i am going. I just installed a FoxRacingShox 2.0 Emulsion stabilizer and what a world of didfference that made. all of this stuff requires the use your stock pitman arm and installed runs about $1250, shipping included. next step is a Rubicon Express 4.5inch so that i can have adjustable, well, everything. that will help me correct myt caster so that i can bring my toe back out and then, all will be well. No. More. Death. Wobble!!!  I'll keep you posted with the progress.
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Re: No.More.Death.Wobble.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 01:35:51 AM »
I'll believe it when I see it. I feel like changing stuff up could potentially cause more issues. None the less good luck!
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 01:42:37 AM »
Have fun with all of that. It sounds like rather than trying to isolate the problem you're just going to replace everything so the problem has to be fixed by the time you get done putting all those parts into it. That system put together sounds very stout though. I've looked at those u-turn steering systems myself. I don't have death wobble, but I have rear end shimmy and really loose steering. The rear end is because my control arm bushings are completely shot and the steering can either be the one-ton system I've got on it or the box is starting to go. I'll play with it this spring and see if I can figure anything out.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 03:35:31 AM »
I went with the Rock Krawler Steering Setup and a Fox Racing Stabalizer. I'll say that it made a world of difference, however, you need to be more attentive to the torque on your tie rod bolts as they tend to loosen with routine use. So long as you check suspension out after a run, it's not a problem. I like the sound of your setup though and I'm anxious to see how that plays out for you. Good Luck!

And for those not savy with how bump steer (Death Wobble) occurs:

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-68.htm
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 04:28:34 PM »
well it's not so much replacing everything until it's fixed, it's doing the repairs and upgrading all at once. My ProComp "high performance" stabilizer was bent therefore it was gushing it's fluid out of the opening for the piston, which in turn, stabilized nothing. my tie rod is slightly bent and weak as hell to begin with, plus with a lift, we all know that a factory TJ steering set is junk just due to its small diameter. the U-Turn steering kit moves the tie rod up , not by much, but a little and converts it to a ZJ/WJ style steering (Crossover steering).  It eliminates the upside down Y that is created from a traditional tie rod/drag link set up. plus the rods in the new kit are 1 3/16" thick. super beefy.  because of the direct box-knuckle-knuckle connection, if you don't already know what the source of the death wobble is, this will help zero in. the large stronger connections and linkage will help pinpoint the source of the energy contributing to the death wobble. i have chased mine down to the track bar, it's bushings, and it's accompanying stabilizing brackets. i have also noticed that my steering box has quite a bit of slop in it when its Top Dead Zero and i give it a little left to right shimmy, there is no movement in the tires or the pitman arm.  Also, for those of you trying to narrow down the source of bushing wear, noise or wobbles or whatever, to check your trackbar bushings, turn your steering wheel slightly to the left and/or right and if the body shifts on top of the diff, significantly, to the left or the right, there is a good chance that you may have worn or destroyed track bar bushings.
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!