Author Topic: zj check engine light after running  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: zj check engine light after running
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 12:19:12 AM »
you talkin about the wheel bearing or what? i dont know a unit

yes same thing they call it a unit bearing b/c they are no are build-able.

Modified

Sry meant to say not re build-able.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 06:31:57 PM by Flex »
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 12:35:59 AM »
yeah its one piece on mine its the hub and bearing you have to buy it in one piece cause the bearing is in the hub or whatever but i guess i could try it
LOW RIDERS ARE FOR GUYS WHO CANT GET IT UP! oh ya

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 12:46:11 AM »
but why would that clunk when you hit a slight tiny bump on the road??? and you really dont think the balljoint would clunk. im just hope whatever is makin that noise is why i get the d/w

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 02:44:07 AM »
you talkin about the wheel bearing or what? i dont know a unit

Jeeps don't have a sevicable wheel bearing, it is a one piece "unit bearing".  Tnhe unit bearing consits of the part between the axle shaft and the wheel studs.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 07:50:02 AM »
yeah. i was lookin in my chilton book and saw that but do you think if thats bad would it clunk on a tiny bump or basicaly no bump and would it cause the death wobble??? thats y i was thinkin the ball joint

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 03:50:55 PM »
Put a jack under the axel on one side. Jack up the axel till the front wheel comes off the ground enough so you can fit a 3 or 4ft pipe or bar under the tire then lift up on it several times while someone is looking at the ball joints. This will show the play in the ball joints. Then do the same for the other side. There should be very little play in them & I mean VERY little play.

Then to check your track bar you will not need a jack for this. Just have someone rock the steering wheel side to side just enough till the wheels are moving slightly & look at both ends of the track bar. There should bo NO play at the axel side. There is just a bushing at that end. Then the other end of the track bar that attaches to the frame is like a tie rod style & might have a little play but VERY little. At this time you can also check all the other tie rods on the drag link & link from pitman arm to drag link. Also you can see the play in your steering box. Your steering stabilizer is also very important so make shure that is tight & not leaking.

All these parts if warn can & will cause D/W. Then after replacing all the warn parts then a good alignment is needed.

And if Ball joints are warn extreamly bad then you will hear a clunk noise from that side. My friends 98 Dodge Ram 1500 had both upper & lower ball joints extreamly warn & when I went for a ride in it one day herd the clunk noise. Checked them & it was both on the LF. The Dodge Ram is like a big Jeep. Almost same style suspention just bigger.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 04:02:27 PM by skibum »
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 06:35:51 PM »
thanks for some good tech stuff skibum we need more of this on the forum.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate