Author Topic: XJ Loss of power  (Read 1187 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
XJ Loss of power
« on: August 04, 2010, 08:45:06 AM »
Hey guys, since mohawk I have replaced a lot of parts and done a lot of work to get my cherokee back on the road. Just about everything is working a lot better, however I'm still having acceleration problems.  I smashed the gas tank pretty hard and it leaks from what seems top be the vent tube area. Not sure if the acceleration issue could be related. The fuel pump is less than a month old. I also Replaced the 02 sensor, but that hasn't fixed the issue. I'm thinking possibly TPS, or a cracked bad fuel line/ something to do with the tank? anything?

The symptoms are:
-sudden hesitation in acceleration, untill I floor it and it seems to work itself out.
-a pop noise coming from the engine, not sure if its intake or exhaust side
-the feeling feels like if you tried to start a standard in 3rd gear
-kinda a locomotive chugging feeling untill the RPMs get up

whats new
since the trip:
-I have replaced 02 sensor, which was throwing 2 codes (21 and 51)
-Tranny mount, (tranny was slamming around)

Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Re: XJ Loss of power
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:54:24 AM »
I'm buying Nates Truck tomorrow, so I have a vehicle to drive. I will be checking all the plugs and wires, cap and rotor, and the fuel pump connector/relay when I get a chance. Also a new gas tank and skid are on their way, since it needs to be fixed either way. Just hoping to get a little .02 from anyone who might know what it is. Otherwise I won't be on the trail anytime soon. Thanks again, Deuce
W.O.J.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 06:38:58 PM »
the poping noise could be motor mounts

or

cracked exhaust manifold and that will add a loss in power

did you get water in your tranny it will mess with the shifting and genral workings of an automatic i seen some pics of you strainded in a puddle

with all your symptoms i say check the tranny
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 06:47:41 PM »

did you get water in your tranny it will mess with the shifting and genral workings of an automatic i seen some pics of you strainded in a puddle

with all your symptoms i say check the tranny

If the gas tank leak is bad enough you may have been sucking water into your gas tank in that puddle also and have a nice mix going on back there. I've done that before and there is definately a loss of power when you are getting half gas and half dirty water to the engine.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 07:15:17 PM »
I don't think its the tranny adam, its very intermittent and seems fuel related, like loss of vacuum, or maybe what roger said
W.O.J.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:03:25 AM »
I don't think its the tranny adam, its very intermittent and seems fuel related, like loss of vacuum, or maybe what roger said

k what is your fuel pressure it might be a filter issue a plugged fuel filter will cause a lean condition indicated by code 51 is that code still there and if it is real bad cuse it to stall since you have a fuel tank leak get a new filter and fix the tank i did not know your gas tank leaked i would have told you to start there
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 03:33:21 AM »
I guess I will start by replacing the tank and carefully inspecting the fuel pump/sending unit when I do so. Although it is brand new I could have smashed it in and broke something, like the fuel filter off. Who knows. It all has to be torn apart and put back together anyways.
W.O.J.