Author Topic: Comanche  (Read 12253 times)

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
Re: Comanche
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 06:39:02 AM »
do you know if the unibody has anything to stiffen it at all? i would recommend that also currie makes a good heavy duty steering kit for xj's and im sure they make them for mj's also.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 03:35:45 AM »
Them h1 tires are very stiff my buddy has them on his cj 8 and he took off the other day to go wheeling aka play in the sand he went um air down and realized he had NO VALVE STEM CORE and you could not tell he runs about 10 psi in them normally

yea i told sam the tire where stiff but the goal is to keep this thing a cheap as we can, plus he will be locked front and rear with bullet prof axles so he can hammer this thing as hard as he want so that can really make up for any draw back. And did i say that this is sam first 4X4 rig, so he's gonna be pretty happy with anything.

do you know if the unibody has anything to stiffen it at all? i would recommend that also currie makes a good heavy duty steering kit for xj's and im sure they make them for mj's also.

yes the whole bottom side of the trucks gonna be plated with 3/16" plate, u know i think if i didnt then no one would believe i built it. As for the steering we r using DOM tubing with not sure what the connecting ends r but they r something really beefy, the kit all came from ballistic fab, they came with the jeep and just need to be welded up, but thanks for the suggestions.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 06:21:15 PM »
Got the mj in to the garage today started ordering parts, the plan is to take care of the drive train and suspension first the worry about the body and armor, looks like both front and rear diffs are going to get lincoln locker and plan on running the the tnt longarms for suspension. So figure id just give an update hopefully this thing will be ready to go by next spring.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 09:41:38 PM »
sweet man, really makes me rethink the whole process of building a jeep. Sammy is  doing it the right way. Cheap trail rig with the right axles and long arms and lockers right off the bat. Should be a hit on the trails along side the Chuggy!
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 06:24:17 PM »
So last couple days ive been working on the the MJ figured id throw up some pics.

Started by pulling the rear axle just because this is the easiest part of the build and after its done i dont have to waste jack stands supporting the rear, just got done welding on all the bracketry for the leaf spring perches and shock mounts, i ended up using my Hobart 140 with .035 wire with the wire speed turned way down and i got plenty of penetration, (that's what she said).

Im really thinking its going to be just fine

After that i moved on to the spider gears and did a Hobart locker, originally the plan was to do a lunch box in the rear but after realizing that they where over $400 we decided to go a cheaper route, with a wheel base around 126" i dont four-see the issues that wranglers tend to have with a welded diff and if worst comes to worst Sam will just shell out the cash and put a detroit in the rear or maybe even a selectable so that we can run a cutting brake and help his turning we he gets sandwiched between trees.

2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 06:45:55 PM »
Go as thick bs you can afford on the steering linkage i bent my 1.5" by 1/4" this weekend i am stepping up to 2" by .5" soon
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 07:28:55 PM »
Go as thick bs you can afford on the steering linkage i bent my 1.5" by 1/4" this weekend i am stepping up to 2" by .5" soon
We r gonna run 1.5" .25 wall DOM with high steer arms so they will rarely get touched but even if they do its 1.5" quarter wall so i should be ok.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 07:59:32 PM »
That is what i bent high steer shoulde keep it way up go the clear for getting all of your steering parts i got all my stuff from parts mike they have the best customer service out of any one i got parts from and when the postal service lost my pit man arm they over nighted me a new arm Free of charge so i could go wheeling last weekend and there machining is top notch for the knuckles
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 07:07:57 PM »
Got to rear axle all painted up and ready to bolt in tomorrow after the paint drys.

2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 09:06:38 PM »
Slowly but surely the old heap is coming together.

But u gotta admit, that's a sexy rear end.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 10:09:01 PM »
I will admit it is very sexy, but do you really want to re-use  axle U bolts or is that just temporary?
W.O.J.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 09:40:54 AM »
I will admit it is very sexy, but do you really want to re-use  axle U bolts or is that just temporary?

Why not?
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 03:52:12 PM »
some people say not to Because they are a class 4 fit a slight interfearance to keep the nuts tight when you loosen the nuts they do not get as tight as before i have never had a problem

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 07:58:51 PM »
yea if they break ill fix them but i dont think thats something im gonna be to worried about.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 08:24:10 PM »
I have always been taught to replace them because the metal stretches, and they could theoretically break while driving down the highway. I guess for a trail rig it shouldn't matter much.
W.O.J.