Author Topic: Detroit Lockers or Aussie Lockers  (Read 1506 times)

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
Detroit Lockers or Aussie Lockers
« on: June 20, 2010, 12:49:46 AM »
I have narrowed it down to these two types.  What are the opinions on these?  I am installing Dana 35 chromoly (30 spline) rear axles and plan on installing a locker also.  I had contemplated putting in a lunchbox locker but was under the impression that Detroits were better.  I was also told to look into Aussie Lockers and did so.  The Aussies are cheaper but what would be better in the long run? 

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
Re: Detroit Lockers or Aussie Lockers
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 03:15:23 AM »
aussie if you break a shaft a dertoit may  eat its self if you are on the throttle when it happens and the nice thing about an aussie you can install it in less than an hour

yes the way a detroit works is better only allowing one wheel to accelerate faster

an aussie will allow one wheel to move faster or slower which ever is easier

since both are not selectable lockers i say go cheap go aussie
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 03:26:15 AM »
Since you are not planning on regearing right now I would go Aussie. If you were going to regear and already have a lot of labor expense going into it the Detroit would be good at that time. I went Detroit in the rear of my TJ because I was getting the axle regeared and the Detroit replaces the entire carrier so it is stronger than the stock carrier and then a lunchbox. I think the guy in the white YJ killed his Aussie today. After that last circle his rear axle was just clicking as the wheels turned. He said he was going to take it apart when he got home, but he's running a D35 with 35s and his tire wasn't coming out the side so he thinks he killed the Aussie.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 02:03:26 PM »
Wha do you mean by "Re-Gear"?  What are you regearing?

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 02:22:31 PM »
Wha do you mean by "Re-Gear"?  What are you regearing?

Regearing is when you change the gear ratio in the axle differentials. TJs come stock with either 3.07 or 3.73 gears if I remember right while Rubicon editions come stock with 4.10 gears. The factory installs gears that they feel are the best compromise between gas mileage and performance. The problem with installing oversized tires is that the Jeep will become very sluggish at acceleration and may cause you to downshift a lot on hills on the highway. To get the original performance back from what the factory had installed you need to regear the axles to meet the needs of the oversized tires. Here's a chart that shows some gear ratios to performance. I'm currently running 33" tires with 4.56 gears, but will be upgrading to 35" tires in the future. According to the chart I'm running the in the best overall performance category with my set up.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/gear-ratio-chart.htm
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 09:25:09 PM »
If your TJ is a DD, go with a selectable locker of you have the choice.  You can run an aussie in the D30 with no problems in a daily driver, but the rear is a lot different handeling.  My YJ jumped a lane comming out of Home Depot yesterday and it was due to the rear locker. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 02:40:11 AM »
Kirk is very correct in that anything with an auto-locking mechanism like the Aussie or Detroit requires special handling when installed in the rear. Going around corners and giving too much gas can cause lane jumps and the person next you to give you funny looks. It takes time to get used to. I'm still feeling my Detroit out right now and only coasting through corners until I find its grabbing point.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 03:50:01 AM »
I say if ur gonna put a locker in a turd (aka A Dana 35) that will only increase the time that is going to take to break the turd in half i would go with an aussie, just do to the fact its not smart to spend a bunch of money on an axle ur just going to come to the realization sucks and then want to get something bigger like a dana 44 that u could just bolt right in as long as it comes out of another TJ.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 04:08:54 AM »
agreed chuckster, do not try to polish the turd. cheapest best route, would be getting some junkyard 4.10 axles and putting autolockers like an aussie in. True story. avoid buying gears if you can, they are a pain to install. And you would most likely have to bring it to a shop, and if you buy an expensive locker now, it will be useless when you go to buy bigger tires, because you wont be able to turn your tires with baby gears. Your jeep would be a dog. lockers have certain gear ratio  cutoffs, were they change the carrier in your axle. if you have 3.07 gears right now, even 33s will be tough to turn. I have 33s with 3.55s with an automatic, and its just ok. I also am not running any lockers and I wheel just fine. just my .02.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 04:41:45 AM »
agreed chuckster, do not try to polish the turd. cheapest best route, would be getting some junkyard 4.10 axles and putting autolockers like an aussie in. True story. avoid buying gears if you can, they are a pain to install. And you would most likely have to bring it to a shop, and if you buy an expensive locker now, it will be useless when you go to buy bigger tires, because you wont be able to turn your tires with baby gears. Your jeep would be a dog. lockers have certain gear ratio  cutoffs, were they change the carrier in your axle. if you have 3.07 gears right now, even 33s will be tough to turn. I have 33s with 3.55s with an automatic, and its just ok. I also am not running any lockers and I wheel just fine. just my .02.

Yea u can deff. wheel just fine with no lockers, guess im not one to talk, but if u just find someone that u have good communication with and u can trust the safety of ur rig to there is not alot u can't do with not a whole lot of extra parts. If u dont believe me ask the guys that saw duece run the valley on the back loop at BTC.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate