Author Topic: Which Winch  (Read 1573 times)

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
Which Winch
« on: May 18, 2010, 03:35:59 AM »
So I am looking at winches for the front of my TJ.  I have seen Warn and Smittybuild and a few others and wonder what to look for in a winch.  I have seen things about gear ratios and amount of weight they can pull.  What should I consider?  I am definately not going to purchase anything until after the raffle this weekend.  If I win that then this has been all for naught. 

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
Re: Which Winch
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 04:41:49 AM »
well basically i would say the main thing would be the pulling weight, but some have different types of motors. i think the series wound motors are better i think they can run more constant
LOW RIDERS ARE FOR GUYS WHO CANT GET IT UP! oh ya

Offline jswatson0917

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 05:31:05 PM »
I think it comes down to what you want to use it for and how often you plan to use it. If you want a winch for aesthetic reasons a $1500 winch would be ludicrous. But if you want it for trail improvements pulling trees and stumps on a regular basis then it would work. Do your research about the different winches and talk to other winch owners about their winches
Am I sterotyping if I type one handed?

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 09:35:03 PM »
Waiting until after the "Drawing" is a good idea!

8000#'s is plenty of winch for your jeep!

I started out with a 2000lb come along which pulled me out many times! I then upgraded to a 3000lb atv winch that a buddy gave me and it would pull me out if the jeep helped! I then upgraded to the XRC8 Smittybuilt (same winch that's in the drawing). I have had the winch on my rig for about two years and it has pulled me out more times then i can remember and one night it even pulled out a couple of full size dodge pickups.

The point I am trying to make is, if your on a limited budget there are less costly ways to get yourself unstuck if you are only wheeling a few times a year. A comealong and some maunal labor isn't so bad a couple of times a year.
and since your rig is your daily driver, you should come up with a plan to build it to where you want it to be. you have a lot of ways to go, lift, tires, skid plates, body armor, ect..

I started with a lift and drove around on "little" tires for a while, then got the tires before installing some armor and then got a winch.

just some food for thought...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 09:43:32 PM by Mr Rock »
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 03:30:54 AM »
I had made the statement that I wanted to see where I could take a stock TJ and I think I am going to continue with that statement.  I am not going to lift it for a while.  I have 31's on it currently and I want to see what I can do.  I am thinking a lift is the last thing I will do.  I will armour out the bottom and make it a little safer to take offroad but I will stick with the stock suspension.  I am going to invest in the quick disconects for the front sway bar and of course the winch for pulling myself out when I get stuck, but I will not lift her yet.  I will look at doing that when it is time to get new tires again.  Then I can justify getting bigger ones. I did put a new Smittybilt bumper http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=10519 on her today and will need a winch mounting plate.  Time to start looking at underarmour

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 04:06:03 AM »
I like those bumpers. They look great. If you want a winch plate I have a brand new universal winch plate still in the box in the basement I would let go for $25.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 12:16:57 PM »
Sold!!!!

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 10:48:44 PM »
I had made the statement that I wanted to see where I could take a stock TJ and I think I am going to continue with that statement.  I am not going to lift it for a while.  I have 31's on it currently and I want to see what I can do.  I am thinking a lift is the last thing I will do.  I will armour out the bottom and make it a little safer to take offroad but I will stick with the stock suspension.  I am going to invest in the quick disconects for the front sway bar and of course the winch for pulling myself out when I get stuck, but I will not lift her yet.  I will look at doing that when it is time to get new tires again.  Then I can justify getting bigger ones. I did put a new Smittybilt bumper http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=10519 on her today and will need a winch mounting plate.  Time to start looking at underarmour

I have this on my jeep too...
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 05:35:06 AM »
i have the XRC8 also and its a good winch, just wish i could have it on the front soon instead of the back
LOW RIDERS ARE FOR GUYS WHO CANT GET IT UP! oh ya