Author Topic: stripped out hub assembly bolts yay!!!  (Read 2057 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
stripped out hub assembly bolts yay!!!
« on: April 30, 2010, 10:46:27 PM »
Tried to do my drivers side axle u joint on my own today. Would have been simple except for the fact that out of the three bolts on the back side of the assembly, 2 are completely stripped out and yes i was using a 13mm 12pt socket. cant get them out for the life of me. so then to make matters worse i decided to button her back up and i over torqued the upper brake caliper bolt and snapped that off! Drives fine for now, but I'm not sure what the next step is. Drilling all of them out would be ridiculous, and then trying to tap them would be even more of a headache.  I guess I'm going to have to replace that whole piece??? Anyone good at this stuff (drilling and tapping)that wants to give it a shot with me some time next week? SIGHHHHHH :-\
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline reg

• Trail Master
Re: stripped out hub assembly bolts yay!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 12:16:41 AM »
if it comes down to it, I have a d30 sitting around i would part out.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 12:20:18 AM »
You might want to pull it apart at the ball joints and gets some parts from reg.  You don't want to mess with steering and braking for safety reasons.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 01:00:54 AM »
Tried to do my drivers side axle u joint on my own today. Would have been simple except for the fact that out of the three bolts on the back side of the assembly, 2 are completely stripped out and yes i was using a 13mm 12pt socket. cant get them out for the life of me. so then to make matters worse i decided to button her back up and i over torqued the upper brake caliper bolt and snapped that off! Drives fine for now, but I'm not sure what the next step is. Drilling all of them out would be ridiculous, and then trying to tap them would be even more of a headache.  I guess I'm going to have to replace that whole piece??? Anyone good at this stuff (drilling and tapping)that wants to give it a shot with me some time next week? SIGHHHHHH :-\

Hey Andy, I use a 1/2 socket on those bolts, I just bang it on with a hammer! you can borrow my grinder and grind the heads offs of the three bearing bolts if that doesn't work. that's if the Caliper will come off! and if it does it shouldn't be to hard to drill it out!
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 02:54:05 AM »
I have a set of bolt extractors that "thread" onto the damaged heads, might work.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 04:38:09 AM »
You might want to pull it apart at the ball joints and gets some parts from reg.  You don't want to mess with steering and braking for safety reasons.

if i pull the upper and lower ball joints and the tie rod can i still pull the shaft out? I thought about it but it didn't look promising.

REG, are you in the area?

Rock, i tried the 1/2 inch, and everything else i could cram on there, they are totally shot.

Rocket I may take you up on that, i'll let you know
W.O.J.

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 05:09:41 AM »

if i pull the upper and lower ball joints and the tie rod can i still pull the shaft out? I thought about it but it didn't look promising.

REG, are you in the area?

Rock, i tried the 1/2 inch, and everything else i could cram on there, they are totally shot.

Rocket I may take you up on that, i'll let you know

Ok, first things first. You'll have to see if you can get the caliper off. where did the bolt snap?  If you think the caliper will come off and you think you can get it to my place, the rest is easy.

Just let me know what a good day/time is.
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 06:30:11 AM »
sounds like a wrenchfest is in order soon... I'm in Groton.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 05:49:02 PM »
Reg I'm on pumkin hill road at the mystic end by 184. I'm off monday tuesday wed thursday if anyone wants to get together to try and help Reg I may take you up on that axle as well. Is it high pinion or low

W.O.J.

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 07:59:30 PM »
it's a HP, but i don't want to get rid of the whole thing, we'll see what parts you need and use those. I'm still running the d30 up front too, and when I finally grenade it, I plan to use the guts out of this one.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 12:57:01 PM »
Ok I would be interested in the knuckles if anything
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 02:19:19 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those 3 bolt that you are talking about pass through the knuckle and only thread into the wheel bearing units. That is why rock mentioned grinding the heads of the bolts off. Once you did that you would be able to pull the entire hub assembly out. I think you need a new wheel bearing more than you're going to need a knuckle.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 03:56:13 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those 3 bolt that you are talking about pass through the knuckle and only thread into the wheel bearing units. That is why rock mentioned grinding the heads of the bolts off. Once you did that you would be able to pull the entire hub assembly out. I think you need a new wheel bearing more than you're going to need a knuckle.

That's correct. when you grind the heads off and remove the bearing assy, the bolt will still be long enough to get a pipe wrench on it to get them out.

The only hard part will be to drill out the broken caliper bolt, it will be a pita but it can be done!