Author Topic: Thermostat  (Read 8580 times)

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Thermostat
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2008, 04:17:53 PM »
I wired an off switch just in case.

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2008, 04:52:10 PM »
good plan.

i have heard the whole fan in the radiator thing when wheeling. usually due to hitting something though.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2008, 02:31:37 AM »
I decided to run this one like the one I had on the cj-7.  It's only a 12.5 amp draw, so I used a manual on/off 30amp switch with a 25 amp inline fuse.  That way, if there is a short, the inline fuse will bust before I get zapped at the switch.  A thermostat relay was more than I was willing to spend right now.  I might throw one in later, especially if I take out the belt driven fan and go straight electric.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Rebell Bull

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • YJ'S rule
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2008, 12:27:15 AM »
ok so you just put an additional fan on and didn't take the clutch one off. To gain the most mpg, Al is right you need to take it off and put just an electic. A friend of mine did that with his Tahoe and picked up 2 mpg just from that. And as far as the taking the Thermostate out, it won't cause you to over heat, but it can cause no heat in the winter. My thermostat was stuck open on my old 73 torino back in 2005 and I drove here to Washington DC with no heat because of the thermostat. It would get hot at low speed or just sitting there for like ever, but one I was going over 35 I lost the heat. Once I changed the thermostat, It worked again. So the lower temp thermostat and the electric fan is the best more for hp and mpg.
Lets go see what I can break next