Author Topic: One ton steering  (Read 993 times)

Offline xjjeeper

• Trail Queen
One ton steering
« on: December 26, 2009, 05:50:14 PM »
Im looking to purchase one ton steering for my xj has a dana 30 front axle. I do not want the zj steering my friend recently bent his and i would rather put the money tords one ton. I was wondering what brands you guys suggest. If you know of any kits that dont need to be drilled welded or any of that stuff please let me know. i want one that bolts right in and is simple and i dont have over 300 to spend on this but if i have to save some more i will. If any one can help me out thats awsome thanks guys and hope you all had a merry christmas.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Re: One ton steering
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 07:59:48 PM »
def go with a bolt in one ton, and carry a stock steering. Best way to go in case you  break on the trail. I have the ZJ V8 steering and it has done ok so far. It really depends how hard you are going to wheel.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 12:54:07 AM »
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-TOTKS

this is what im going to go with when i get around to it its over the knuckle and its bolt in, u can make it stronger with bigger hardware by easily drilling out the knuckles and pit man arm, u dont have to tack in any inserts and  refuse to believe u cant operate a drill so this would be an easy install. either way its worth a look. im in the "bent zj v8 steering" club so i dont blame u for going straight for the good stuff.

Flex
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 08:45:57 PM »
If you want one ton steering it is NOT a bolt in job.  You need to ream out the knuckles, and the cheapest I have found the tool is:
here: http://completeoffroad.com/i-123698-tie-rod-end-chevy-1-ton-es2026r.html

If you use off the shelf Chevy parts for as much of the system as possible you will be able to find replacement parts easily.  From what I have seen about the so called "1 ton set up", they are the same parts as the ones used on 1/2 ton trucks, so should it be a 1/2 ton steering? ;)

Rusty's has some nice stuff, but pretty $$$$. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT