Author Topic: Winch  (Read 6803 times)

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
Re: Winch
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 04:45:05 PM »
There isn't much of a difference.  I am probably going to get the headers first and then the winch afterwards.  I just wanted to know if there would be anyone interested in grabbing it before I ask elsewere.  Tiss all.  I mean it works great, even with the cracks.  It was cracked during our trip to Mohawk Trails and it pulled a Hummer and the big ass Wagoneer up that last BIG obstacle.  AND (Sorry scott), it pulled that  ass nugget out from behind Wal-Mart the other yellow Jeep with a winch couldn't.....after J.D.'s line snapped!!! 
Boom Headshot!!!

It WAS pulling and moving that ass nugget just fine until the line snapped... Just for clarification...that Chicago Electric winch we have is what I'd like to call.....shall I say.... cost effective. If it works for 10-15 crucial pulls then it paid for itself, and if it doesn't work on the 16th, I'll be fine spending another $300 bucks for another one...It does the same thing the $1000 winches do, maybe not as fast, but hey it does the trick. And my winch plate is already set up for another on should this one ever crap out...

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 04:52:16 PM »
I've got to say, that personally, having done quite a bit of wheeling in the past 3 or 4 years with organized groups, I have never before (before Sunday) gotten stuck in a manner in which it would have been quicker and easier to have a winch rather than just getting a tug with a tow strap from another vehicle.

So, although winch's are cool an all, if you are only doing legal organized wheeling in groups, then it is rarely a necessity.  Especially before you get into really extreme stuff.

I plan on buying a winch for the tracker first, long before buying one for the yj, and I'm thinking at for the size and weight of the tracker, this winch is probably overkill for me.
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 05:23:38 PM »
nah......... bigger is better.

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 05:55:26 PM »
hahaha
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 06:26:08 PM »
I've got to say, that personally, having done quite a bit of wheeling in the past 3 or 4 years with organized groups, I have never before (before Sunday) gotten stuck in a manner in which it would have been quicker and easier to have a winch rather than just getting a tug with a tow strap from another vehicle.

So, although winch's are cool an all, if you are only doing legal organized wheeling in groups, then it is rarely a necessity.  Especially before you get into really extreme stuff.

I plan on buying a winch for the tracker first, long before buying one for the yj, and I'm thinking at for the size and weight of the tracker, this winch is probably overkill for me.

Those who went on OFR last summer can attest to needing a winch. In a downpour and dark 1/2 way into the trail, there is no way a simple tug with a strap would have gotten even smaller rigs like a Wrangler up these ledges, let alone the 6500lb H2's that were with us! I agree however a strap is almost always faster but there will be times a winch is the right tool for the job...

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 07:51:10 PM »

Those who went on OFR last summer can attest to needing a winch. In a downpour and dark 1/2 way into the trail, there is no way a simple tug with a strap would have gotten even smaller rigs like a Wrangler up these ledges, let alone the 6500lb H2's that were with us! I agree however a strap is almost always faster but there will be times a winch is the right tool for the job...

I was thinking the same thing.  That first ledge (dry/daylight) where axel earned his name, none of the hummers could make it up w/o a winch.  I think we ended up winching Axle, too.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 08:39:10 PM »
most people just get a tug through there.  it's amazing how little help you usually need.  especially on a climb like that, usually the problem is just not enough traction, often a single person with a tow strap can provide enough pulling force to aid in traction enough.  (human powered)

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2008, 10:17:50 PM »
yeah, i def remember that trail, i was the winch man. soaked to the bone. rain on new england rocks sucks. might as well coated the whole trail in KY.

winch ended up being fastest esp for the hummers.

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2008, 11:31:02 PM »
Hey Rocket,  I won't be buying a new winch any time soon (see "Mohrbicon" Upgrades thread) because of cash issues.  When I do decide to upgrade the winch if you haven't bought one already I will ask you first if you want it.  Sorry for any inconvenience.
JT4x4 Founding Member

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2008, 12:26:07 AM »
no inconvinence.  I'm only quasi-in-the-market for one.  I'm keeping my eyes open for a good deal, but in no hurry.
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2008, 02:06:12 AM »
I'm probably going to end up buying the $299 smittybuilt for the tracker, and then after that, I may be in the market for something larger/beefier for the yj

I also need skids for the yj, oil pan and tranny pan for the yj, front axle 3rd member for the tracker

OH THE MONEY!  WHY DOESN'T IT GROW ON TREES?

Had anybody/everybody heard about this proposed tax rebate that the government is working on?  :)

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2008, 02:15:46 AM »
no, do tell!

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2008, 02:24:16 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080118/ap_on_go_pr_wh/economy_stimulus

to sum it up, the fed thing we're heading for a recession, and as an economic stimulus, they are considering a tax rebate for lower to middle class, of between $500 and $800 for individuals, and as much as $1600 for married couples

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2008, 02:29:08 AM »
w/ $800, i could get my siders and skids!  that would boost the economy!

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2008, 02:30:03 AM »
um yeah.