Author Topic: 8.25 Swap  (Read 10440 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Re: 8.25 Swap
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 10:48:42 PM »
if you want to do it sunday i will help tell what tools you want me to bring and we can test it out afterwards

I want to do it sunday, but I was hoping to find someone with a garage. Paul W offered, but thats a hell of a drive. Worst comes to worst, we can do it at my dads in Willimantic. Should have the tools we need there.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 12:20:01 AM »
It also needs a pinion yolk seal. From what I gather this should be a pretty simple swap. hopefully the drive shaft length will not be a problem with the 3 inch lift, and the brake lines and ebrake lines should swap right over from the d35, and I'm hoping my drums and shoes I had just bought for the D35 will fit on the 8.25 also. I dont see why they wouldn't. Also picking up a ZJ V8 steering setup from a guy in RI tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 03:04:58 AM by BlacXJeep »
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 02:32:56 AM »
It also needs a pinion yolk seal. From what I gather this should be a pretty simple swap. hopefully the drive shaft length will not be a problem with the 3 inch lift, and the brake lines and ebrake lines should swap right over from the d35, and I'm hoping my drums and shoes I had just bought for the D35 will fit on the 8.25 also. I dont see why they wouldn't. Also picking up a ZJ V* steering setup from a guy in RI tomorrow.

The pinion yoke seal might require a dial gage inch/lb torque wrench which are pretty expensive and not easy to find.  You can mark the pinion shaft and count the number of turns to remove the nut.  It should be close enough to not mess up the gear lash. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 03:07:04 AM »
I think my dad has one of those, does it look like a bow and arrow?
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 03:21:08 AM »
Since the yoke on the 8.25 sticks out about an inch more than on the dana 35, is my driveshaft going to be to long? If it is too long should I get rid of the TC drop, and try running it without.? Or should I just get an 8.25 drive shaft?
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 01:49:16 PM »
I'm trying to remember from my readings over the years and all I can think of is people that swapped axles, but also did a SYE at the same time. You're right though and the 8.25 is longer than a D35 so your driveshaft may need to be swapped out with one from a XJ that had the 8.25 stock. Kirk has a 8.25 in his XJ. Maybe you can measure the rear driveshaft on his XJ and compare it to the length of your driveshaft to determine how much difference there is.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 05:30:55 PM »
Maybe I'll just order a hack n tap and do it all at once. That's the other strange variable, the 242 transfer case. Is there anywhere local I can get the parts I need to do the Hack n tap? Little Adam and I were planning on knocking out the swap this weekend, Although, there are plenty of other things we could do, to include my ZJ V8 tie rod, and u-joints among other things. Boy this is nerve racking. Don't want to end up with a drive train vibe issue.
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 08:01:48 PM »
Remember that with a hack-n-tap you'll need a CV style rear driveshaft. It would probably be more cost effective to do this swap at the same time rather than buying a driveshaft now and then buying another CV style draftshaft when you do the hack-n-tap. The thing that's great about the SYE or H-N-T is that if you break a rear driveshaft while out on the trail you won't loose all of your transfer case fluid and you are still able to drive in front wheel drive.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 08:50:02 PM »
Ok I'm researching it all right now. Maybe you can break it down for me a little bit. What exactly do I need to do the hack n tap? If I have to wait a little while to do the swap I will to feel confident it will all go together smoothly. Besides that I have a crap load of parts on order or in my jeep waiting to go on. Just ordered smittybilt TJ flares, Tomken 2x4 sliders, engine skid and tc skid, Blue torch fab 8.25 diff cover. And I just picked up the ZJV8 tie rod setup. That should keep me busy a while. 
W.O.J.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 08:53:55 PM »
I got the shop on sunday
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 08:55:41 PM »
sweet. Either way I will take you up on using it. Think you can find me the parts to do the hack n tap before Sunday without having to order them?
W.O.J.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 04:51:23 AM »
what do you need for A hack And tap i have never done one if you get me 2 parts list i Can see what i Can get
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 04:56:29 AM »
With your drive shafts i got A lot of jeep drive shafts At the shop if we have to we Can Cut one down And find A welder to make it happen for Cheap

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2009, 05:14:51 AM »
I guess you can do a flange style or a yolk style. this is what I would like to do.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/np-242-hack-n-tap-sye-stock-front-shaft-24264/index4/
http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/84jeepxj/sye.html

Adam do you have an XJ front drive shaft by chance?
Otherwise im picking one up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 05:17:51 AM by BlacXJeep »
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2009, 05:20:20 AM »
supposedly this would be the yoke i would need

but then i would need a CV style drive shaft