Author Topic: YJ Hardtop 1/2 cab  (Read 3225 times)

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
YJ Hardtop 1/2 cab
« on: September 10, 2009, 03:59:38 AM »
With my commute I have been checking out a lot more craigslist and other Jeep Forums for great deals on parts.  I found a CJ7 hardtop on NEOW for $75.  I have a full hardtop already, but it is in really nice shape, and I have this idea in my head to cut up a full size hard top and make a 1/2 cab smiliar to a CJ8. 

I have ZERO expiereince with fiberglass, but my plan is to cut the top just behind the main roll bar hoop (about the leading edge of the side windows).  I'll then cut the area surrounding the hatch and mold/glue/bond it to the back of the front part. 

I will need to find a way to make the lift gate portion bolt on/off since it will need to go around the sport bars and the supports for my rear rack.  Worst case I will be out $75 and make a lot of mess and waste my time.  Best case I will have an awsome, one of a kind 1/2 cab that will blow everyone mind.  Most likely it will be something in the middle. 

I won't be picking up the 1/2 top for a few weeks since I am commuting on the Harley and the hard top is just a little bit bigger then my saddle bags ::)
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

Re: YJ Hardtop 1/2 cab
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 04:09:39 AM »
fiberglass work isn't extremley difficult.  i would recommend grabbing a free boat off craigslist and cutting that up and trying to patch it 1st.  with practice it can become simple.  you can even experiment with the gelcoat if you get ambitiious enough.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 04:19:05 AM »
Kirk, if you want to learn fiberglass give Will a call. He hates boats, but he knows fiberglass and gelcoat. I'm sure he's patched more than just a few hulls over the years.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 01:03:45 AM »
Kirk, if you want to learn fiberglass give Will a call. He hates boats, but he knows fiberglass and gelcoat. I'm sure he's patched more than just a few hulls over the years.

I was thinking the same thing :D.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline WillC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 07:13:31 PM »
I will give you a hand with the fiberglass work, I have more free time coming up, Oct, Nov, Dec. 
I thought about how a half cab with a hard trunk cover would look on the JK.

The most important thing about working with fiberglass is that when you are all done grinding you go take the hottest shower you can stand.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 03:47:22 AM »
I will give you a hand with the fiberglass work, I have more free time coming up, Oct, Nov, Dec. 
I thought about how a half cab with a hard trunk cover would look on the JK.

The most important thing about working with fiberglass is that when you are all done grinding you go take the hottest shower you can stand.

I won't be picking it up for a few weeks, but when I get read to start the project I'll give you a ring.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 04:34:41 AM »
This is exciting! Lets see how yours comes out, then we can start chopping my cherokee and make a hard top for the back end! Really though, can't wait to see some pics of the whole process. As you know I have a thing for building my own stuff. Need to get busy on my half doors again.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 04:32:44 AM »
This is exciting! Lets see how yours comes out, then we can start chopping my cherokee and make a hard top for the back end! Really though, can't wait to see some pics of the whole process. As you know I have a thing for building my own stuff. Need to get busy on my half doors again.

Here is a write up for the right way to cut the roof off of a XJ. 
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=557715
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 07:56:39 AM »
Ive read that whole write up before, absolutely sick sh*t. A lot more work than I am capable of, even if I had the tools though. I was just joking around about chopping the rear window area out. If I wanted a convertible, I would just get a YJ or TJ. But I won't rule anything out for down the road.  ;)
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 09:36:17 PM »
Ive read that whole write up before, absolutely sick sh*t. A lot more work than I am capable of, even if I had the tools though. I was just joking around about chopping the rear window area out. If I wanted a convertible, I would just get a YJ or TJ. But I won't rule anything out for down the road.  ;)

The skills come with time.  If you keep your Jeep long enough it becomes more and more of a toy and cutting the top off might be possible.  Plus it is always cool to see some really trick fab work.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 04:00:34 AM »
So over 3 years ago, I had this idea.  I drug the hard top I bought out from under my back porch and started cutting.  Just as I described above in Sept 09, I cut the top just beyond the main roll bar.  I then cut the back portion that holds the lift gate and started trying to make it match up with the main portion.  Now that I have the big pieces in place, I am at a loss for how to make a back window that bolts in and out so it will slide over the roll bars.  I'll try and get some pics tomorrow.  I was working outside because of all the dust and it got too dark.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT