Author Topic: September Trail Ride  (Read 5894 times)

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Re: September Trail Ride
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2009, 03:48:36 AM »
After a very nice guy came out to check his mail and we asked him, he was able to point us in the right directiion based on our limited memory of the entance, it turns out you enter from the North East, not the South West :P.

It was a good run, the weather held up and we only had a little carnage.  McLovin broke an upper track bar mount and little Adam bent the crap out of a leaf spring.  Both were repaired to allow them to drive home.

I hope Brian made it out ok, I think I saw his tracks as we finished the trail, but it was hard to tell.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2009, 04:11:28 AM »
Good run today, i had a blast i made it all the way home with a broken trac bar mount and no death wobble so over all a good day.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2009, 04:59:55 AM »
Good run today, i had a blast i made it all the way home with a broken trac bar mount and no death wobble so over all a good day.

That's better than me. I still have death wobble from 30-40mph, but I had that before i went on the run today. I'll have to figure it out soon.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2009, 06:35:46 PM »

That's better than me. I still have death wobble from 30-40mph, but I had that before i went on the run today. I'll have to figure it out soon.

Roger,
The death wobble can be cured. If you look at the front of your TJ, the the drag link ( bar that runs from the pitman arm to the tie rod)  and the tie rod should be as parallel as possible. That might be achievable through a small drop pitman arm or a tie rod flip(like Kirk did) or a combination of both. Those two changes in conjunction with adjustable control arms will allow getting the camber back to within 3.5 and 4.5 degrees, will cure the death wobble. I would assume you already have a steering stabilizer. If you do all this and the wobble is still there, then the power steering box may need to be adjusted or replaced as the valves inside it can get worn. Hope this helps...

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2009, 07:07:35 PM »

Roger,
The death wobble can be cured. If you look at the front of your TJ, the the drag link ( bar that runs from the pitman arm to the tie rod)  and the tie rod should be as parallel as possible. That might be achievable through a small drop pitman arm or a tie rod flip(like Kirk did) or a combination of both. Those two changes in conjunction with adjustable control arms will allow getting the camber back to within 3.5 and 4.5 degrees, will cure the death wobble. I would assume you already have a steering stabilizer. If you do all this and the wobble is still there, then the power steering box may need to be adjusted or replaced as the valves inside it can get worn. Hope this helps...

Scott,
Mine is something that came all of a sudden. The TJ did not have deathwobble a month ago. It just showed up after the Mohawk run. I'll start with balancing the tires and move on from there. The TJ has a newer PSC steering box in it along with adjustible control arms with heim joints. I'll start with the lesser expensive items and move from there until I find the problem.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2009, 11:19:44 PM »

Roger,

Scott,
Mine is something that came all of a sudden. The TJ did not have deathwobble a month ago. It just showed up after the Mohawk run. I'll start with balancing the tires and move on from there. The TJ has a newer PSC steering box in it along with adjustible control arms with heim joints. I'll start with the lesser expensive items and move from there until I find the problem.

Ok, I didn't know it just started. Yeah, you may have taken a wheel weight off. I'd also look at where some of the steering componants and suspension links mount, you may have developed a crack somewhere during the Mohawk trip...

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2009, 12:09:07 AM »
yes, yes, yes. That felt good. My first wheelin trip in months, only my second since becoming a member (damn Boat), and it was friggin awsome.  Good job to everyone with their quick on the spot fix-it solutions for flex and gearhead.  I'm surprised that old red YJ made it out alive.  Thanks to everyone that showed for a good time. Also, my dad would like to send his thanks for an awsome day.  he really had a good time.

Roger, three words.  Front End Alignment.  That should fix the wobble. Atleast until you bounce down off of another big obstacle. The long term solution is a tie rod flip kit, that will parralell your steering linkage a bit better, taking it closer to factory geometry, which is when it will perform the best.
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2009, 12:40:45 AM »
Roger, three words.  Front End Alignment.  That should fix the wobble. Atleast until you bounce down off of another big obstacle. The long term solution is a tie rod flip kit, that will parralell your steering linkage a bit better, taking it closer to factory geometry, which is when it will perform the best.

You may not be too far off. I know my tie rod took a beating and it may have at Mohawk too. Just by looking at it I don't see any obvious bend that's not supposed to be there, but I wouldn't doubt that it's out of alignment. Nate mentioned Saturday that if when it starts happening I look at the tire and it looks like the rear of the tear is doing more shaking than the front it is more than likely control arm brackets, ball joints, etc from the backside of the axle. I looked today when it started up and it appears to be starting on the back of the tire so I'll have to look at it and see if I can find anything obvious.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2009, 03:01:37 AM »
Roger i found the site that gave the most helping my death wobble that i spent way to much money trying to fix i hope it helps.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/showpost.php?p=273822&postcount=6
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline smaug1911

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2009, 04:49:43 AM »
I got out fine after some wrong turns.

But I did have some damage.

Bent an inner tie rod on a rock going too fast on my way outta there.

And dented the bottom of my quarter panel behind the tire while was trying to make it up that hill climb

Still had fun, but should have opted out of running the trail when i knew I was on a tight schedule.

Anyhow...driving 90 minutes home with tires pointed in differetn directions was not something I want to do again.
97 V6 Tacoma TRD. 2.5" front coil spacers. 3.5' Downey leaf springs, 2" 4Crawler body Lift, rear Bilstein 5125's, 35" BFG KM2's, Skid row transfer skid, Ocean State Crawlers front winch bumper, custom rear bumper, Kajobuilt sliders, deckplate mod, grey wire mod, Smittybilt XRC8.

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2009, 07:51:53 PM »
Anyhow...driving 90 minutes home with tires pointed in differetn directions was not something I want to do again.

Glad to here you made it home ok!

I made it home in time shower and make the wife's dinner reservations! I live for anotherday!!!
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline Tsunami

• Rock Crawler
    • Tsunami's facebook
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2009, 07:53:12 PM »
little adam... wheres the vids n pics...
2010 mazdaspeed3

Offline smaug1911

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2009, 02:54:50 AM »
Truck fixed.  :)
97 V6 Tacoma TRD. 2.5" front coil spacers. 3.5' Downey leaf springs, 2" 4Crawler body Lift, rear Bilstein 5125's, 35" BFG KM2's, Skid row transfer skid, Ocean State Crawlers front winch bumper, custom rear bumper, Kajobuilt sliders, deckplate mod, grey wire mod, Smittybilt XRC8.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2009, 03:02:08 AM »
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2009, 03:49:19 AM »
Working on it Scott gave me the wrong cd
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/